Topic

DWR Treatment Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DWR Treatment Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

For treating a sleeping bag (nylon-shell), what DWR treatment has worked best for you?

Haven't heard good things about Nikwax, and from personal experience, Tectron wasn't that great….looking for something stellar, if possible.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've heard that NikWax is good but because it's waxed based it wears off about 2x as fast as others. I personally prefer spray on Grangers but it's still not incredible. It repels rain when it's light, but under pressure (ie. if I rub my jacket or when I'm on my motorcycle) it still fails.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Nikwax wax based? Only if you use their product for waxed jackets!

They have various products, including Down Proof for down clothing and sleeping bags.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Nate, glad to hear your evaluation of Tectron as not being that great…I was just about ready to give it a whirl as it sounded like the old Scotch Guard. I've been using Granger's, so I guess I'll just stick with that for now.

I've avoided applying it to my sleeping bag though for fear that it might damage the down. Any thoughts on that?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

You might consider Atsko Water Guard. I haven't used it on a bag but on jackets, gloves, pants, etc I've found it to be as good as Nikwax, and less expensive. Not all that easy to find (Wal-Mart has it sometimes) but can be ordered from atsko at http://www.atsko.com

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

CAUTION!

There are two sorts of DWR treatment: silicone and fluorocarbon. They are INCOMPATIBLE!

If you make a mistake and put silicone over fluorocarbon, it will wear off quickly but you will not be able to redo the fluorocarbon either. Be very careful to use the right one!

In general the factory DWR on most fabrics will be a fluorocarbon, NOT a silicone.

Atsko make both a silicone Water Guard and a fluorocarbon Water Guard. I like the fluorocarbon one, but do bond it on with an iron.

Cheers

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

The bag has no DWR (other than the Tectron I tried on it). It's an REI Kilo Flash and comes with just standard nylon. Soaks up water like a sponge….

Can you in fact iron on DWR onto a nylon down bag? How does this work without damaging the down?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Can you in fact iron on DWR onto a nylon down bag? How does this work without damaging the down?

Errr… Ummmm….
    I would not try ironing a down bag myself. I am not sure what it would do to the down, but nothing good I suspect.

OK, alternative treatment idea. Spray the fluorocarbon DWR onto the bag and then sit it in the hot sun for a few hours. The fabric should heat up a bit. Turn regularly to baste all sides … Caution: I have not tried this myself.

Cheers

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

How about using a hair dryer on a hot setting?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> How about using a hair dryer on a hot setting?
    How about on a warm setting?
    I worry about frizzled nylon.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools