Topic

This picture made me go lightweight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion This picture made me go lightweight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

jeff

Well, really, this cat, Jeff, whom I met atop HalfDome last year, and we hiked up JMT a ways and talked about bpl before I was overcome with the weight of my traditional hiking and he streaked on ahead. (Hey Jeff!, if you're here.)

I was amazed he could do the JMT with such a small package. Anyway, looking at this picture later, (it's a Golite or GossamerGear?), the way it hangs back off his shoulders at a bad angle, and no weight on his belt, looks… uncomfortable, and, well…wrong.

Now I've got most of my lightweight gear for several week-long Sierra trips this summer. I'm ready to buy my first LW pack and have read virtually everything here. But I have serious reservations about carrying my pack like this for 6 days…

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I'm amazed too because I can't imagine how he's fitting a required bear canister in there…maybe judicious campsite selection (i.e.bear boxes)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Are those campshoes? Blasphemy! You'd be surprised how many ways you can can carry a ul pack.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

That's how I'd amend the heading, anyway… "This pic made me go light, but not too light."

'Cause you're right, that wouldn't be comfortable to carry. Plenty of people here will argue that it's fine. But if you get a pack with a basic frame and a good suspension, the added comfort and energy savings from the extra pound of the frame will far more than make up for itself. If you're only carrying 5 pounds, it wouldn't matter. If you're working with a 10 or 15 pound base plus food, it starts to matter. Especially if you need to carry more water or something.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

That pack looks fine to me. I don't carry a 10lb base load either maybe I would if I were carrying a bear can but I don't know. I may never know I doubt I'd follow the rules exactly if I were in yosemite.

If I keep my total weight under 20 pounds I don't need any kind of frame or a hip belt. When I carry my mariposa I wear it just like the guy in the pic with the straps really loose. Quite the opposite with my old breeze. I tighten those straps as tight as they go and haul butt.

I agree over 30 lbs or so a frame becomes useful but It would be better to just cut weight IMO.

Kevin Yang

@kjyang

Off topic, but i was wondering where do you leave your stuff when you climb up those ropes.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Its not as bad as it looks, just dont look down. and carry your pack if its small. Its the people who freak out half way up that freak me out. Ali

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The way he is carrying his pack … Yuk! I simply couldn't.

Cheers

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

looking at that, no way i could handle that much steep exposure

glad i never tried it every time i see a picture like that

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Off topic, but i was wondering where do you leave your stuff and you climb up those ropes.

A lot of peops carry their day packs up (I did), many left their gear back at Little Yosemite Valley campground a few miles back, others leave their packs around the rocks and boulders near where this pic is taken. Expect your pack to get gnawed in to by marmots if you elect the latter.

David Ure

@familyguy

Pretty clear the torso size on that pack is not long enough, regardless of any stiffness (or lack thereof) in the frame or belt. My Jam and Conduit don't fit like that!

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

How often can you resupply on the JMT.

Aren't there 5 day stretches?

I don't see how he can get all his food in that pack.

Or was he doing it in a week?

-scott

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

How often can you resupply on the JMT. Aren't there 5 day stretches? I don't see how he can get all his food in that pack. Or was he doing it in a week?

Most people resupply half way on the JMT – usually 5 days or so in. There are only a few resupply options. But the whole JMT can be fastpacked in 5 days! (See this thread) To be honest, I don't know what his resupply situation was – he was shooting for Tuolumne Mdws that evening, probably 20 miles, (after climbing HD!) Maybe he was going to pick up a bear can there. He planned on 2 weeks out, I believe…

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

The pack looks like a Gossamer more than a Golite, as for the angle it kind of reminds me of what carrying a school bag used to be like. Those packs were not designed for comfort or posture.
    I recall some days carrying so much in the pack that the thin shoulder straps would leave my skin red raw, especially after walking a few km's home in the heat.
    Nice picture BTW,

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

The thread is about an experience that made someone go lightweight. Not a critique of how the person in the picture likes to wear his pack. Due to the fact he ran into this guy and his lightweight pack made him reconsider the way he was packing. Even though there are a lot of questions, such as the way he wears his pack or whether or not he has a canister the fact of the matter is he appears to be packing light. That's enough for me.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

What do you expect to happen when you get a bunch of gear nerds together in one cyber-room? It's like a bunch of fashionistas not being able to watch a movie/tv show without commenting one what everyone is wearing.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I'll add another 'yuk' vote for that pack setup. No matter how light it is, having that weight pulling back and down on my shoulders all day, every day would make me miserable and cause me to hunch forward.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

We don't know if that is how he always carries the pack, or if it was just a temporary thing.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Can somebody post a picture of a properly fitted frameless pack for comparison ?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Cameron wrote:

Can somebody post a picture of a properly fitted frameless pack for comparison?

Here I am before starting a hike from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Is the pack properly fitted? I think so. The pack, especially the wide shoulder straps, are comfortable enough that I don't use the hip belt. One day I'll cut it off.

pack

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Yes, that certainly looks better!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Casey

However, the gear tied to the back of the pack will certainly throw the balance out. Foam mats are OK, but the other stuff should be on top (or at home).

Cheers

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Roger Wrote:

However, the gear tied to the back of the pack will certainly throw the balance out. Foam mats are OK, but the other stuff should be on top (or at home).

I concur. The foam pad only weights a few ounces, so it's torque (weight x arm) doesn't worry me. Regarding the Tarptent stuffed in the big rear pocket, I never considered putting it on top. I'll give that a try next time. Thanks.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Although I completely concur with Roger, I also recognise there are many different hiking styles. Having your sleeping mat on the outside may be fine for the JMT, but would be inappropriately destructive for most of the on- and off-trail walking I do. It would get shredded! Ditto just about everything else (including tent) that isn't well protected from sharp objects and abrasion. Better for me to either leave it at home, or use a pack big enough to accomodate all my gear on the inside.

As long as Cameron (or whoever) is comfortable with their pack and finds it protects their gear well enough, then it is "properly fitted". Maybe not text-book ideal, but HYOH. Cameron's pack certainly looks better fitted than the guy in the first photo!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools