Topic

Other trails around Trial of a Hundred Giants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Other trails around Trial of a Hundred Giants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Yang

@kjyang

I'm planning a trip to Sequoia for the 4th of July weekend. It could be a 3 or 4 day trip.

I want to see the trees at the Trail of a Hundred Giants. I understand this is a very short walk. Are there other longer trails around this area that you would recommend to fill up the remaining 2 or 3 days?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Kevin,

Trail of a Hundred Giants is a Walmart Parking Lot on holidays. But it is worth a stop by in you are in the area. There are several other Sequoia Groves in the area too.

Here is what I would do. Go see the Giants. Then drive to the Lloyd Meadows Trailhead and hike down to the Forks of the Kern into the Golden Trout Wilderness. Do your 3 to 4 day loop there. Wilderness Permit required. If you fish, bring a pole always good fishing on this section of the Kern.

On your trip back, stop by Lower Pepermint Creek campground. We will be in the big white tent trailer. It will be our base camp for a week. If we are at the campsite, we will have a cold beer or Margarita available for you. We go there every 4th of July for a week or two, because there aren't many campers here. My wife doesn't backpack, so we do day hikes in the area.

I will give you directions to the Kern River Slides for your drive back toward Johnsondale. You can stop there and refresh.

Kern River Slides

Kevin Yang

@kjyang

Hello Nick. Thanks for the reply.

I did some research on your suggestions and it looks like it's exactly what I was looking for: a nice 25 mile loop around the area.

I'll look for your campground on my way back and might just take you up on your offer of a nice drink.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools