Topic

car saftey in GSMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports car saftey in GSMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Gonna leave the car parked in Smokemont Campground in the smokies for a week. Has anyone had their car busted into around there? Where are the safe places to park?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I've been lucky so far when parking overnight in GSMNP. Most of the time, my wife drops me off and then picks me up so maybe I'm not a typical stat.

You can talk to the rangers when you get there or call them.
    (865) 436-1231 is for backcountry permits. They have always answered all my questions over the phone or in person.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Beware of parking lot thieves who break into cars parked at trailheads to steal purses, cameras, and electronic equipment. The best defense is to lock your car and take your valuables with you, or leave them at home. Be aware that thieves may be in the parking area watching as you slip your wallet into the glove box or "hide" your laptop under a blanket.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Thanks, Wife's coming with me, we live in VA so we're parking. we're thinking about getting a shuttle service but $$$

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

While this didn't happen in GSMNP, I did encounter one very distraught woman while thru-hiking the PCT. I was coming into a trailhead area and this lady was freaking out as her car was stolen while she was out on an overnight hike. She didn't seem to understand why I couldn't help her out.

You could always park at a safe place in a town and hitchhike in.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'll be parking about a week this summer also, though I was more concerned about where to park in general when out for a few days. If the loop you want to do isn't near a campground, can you park at about any pulloff point or will they tow your car?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Are you staying in the smokies?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have left a car at Smokemont several times (in the fall and winter) for 3 days at a time and never had any problems.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

cool thanks, we're hiking out the clingmans and back. Gonna be groovy!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Rick,
    My plan is to do a couple loops of 3-4 days each and at least 1 day hike. I'll be staying in the backcountry campgrounds. I need to find more info on what to expect at those, too.

For example, I assume there's a parking area at the end of the GSMI road where Middle Prong Trail starts. I'd like to leave my car there several days, come back, stock back up on food in the trunk and drive to the next place.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

George left us the number for the rangers further up this thread. last year we parked at cosby campground and Fontanna Marina with no probs, but we heard there are some break ins around the town of cosby. So lookout! That being said, we had a blast in Cosby. Maddron Bald and Albright grove are what it's all about. Fontanna lake is pretty but the lake shore trail was so/so.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I've parked at Smokemont without any issues. Since it has a ranger there often, I've felt safer leaving my car there than at some of the other roadside parking lots that I've parked at before. Have a great trip!

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Thanks man, can't wait!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools