Topic

Silks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Jan, Mark Hurd, and all the rest of you…

Some months ago there was a thread about the suitability of very light silks for down-filled products. At that time, Mark made what has been a good distinction for me: namely, some down loss is okay. At least, that's how I recall it. Someone said that if you were expecting more down loss from a thin silk shell, then it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm starting to think that way…

Obviously a 4.5mm silk shell won't do much of anything against wind. Sleeping under a tarp wouldn't make any sense with such a sleeping bag unless you were using a bivy. But if you were in a tent, for example…

I know at least two of you have built and used silk-shelled bags/quilts. I've also read posts that talk about how much heat loss there is with the readily air permeable shell. How much of a functional concern is this air permeability? Maybe this is a question for Richard Nisley? Mark, what have you noticed?

Thanks!
    Brad

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools