Topic

New website for backpacking and fly fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara New website for backpacking and fly fishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi everyone! I have an idea for a website that focuses on combining fly fishing with backpacking. It would cover things like the best ways to pack your rod, gear reviews of UL fly boxes and pack rods, etc. I have 2 questions for you:

1. Is there any interest in a site like that?

2. Would anyone out there be interested in contributing some content?

I can provide more information about the site if you'd like. It just before I go through all the work of building it, I want to make sure there's an audience for it. Or is this forum sufficient to cover the topic? Any feedback is appreciated.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very interested. I'd hope you'd be open to more than "pure" fly fishing. High lake "fly and bubble" is probably one of the only fishing methods created specifically for backpacking use. I use flies exclusively and almost always use a fly rod, but it's cast with a light spinning reel. Most sub alpine lakes in Washington are essentially impossible to backcast unless you're out on the water.

There are a number of folks I know that would LOVE a site like this!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Hey Jason, that can be a pretty deep subject for sure. I'd love to see a more in depth treatment of that topic, whether it be to better organize and supplement the information on this site, or form a separate site with the right focus. Ryan & Co have published some really fine articles in this area, but in the area of gear reviews I think that the surface has just barely been scratched.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Count me among those who'd be VERY interested. Let me know if I can help.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

sounds like a great idea. I got most the information I needed here, but it would also be nice to have lists of reels and weights. It took me weeks of hunting, and someone here chiming in on a light fly reel to find a sub 4oz reel that didn't break my bank account. Gear reviews, gear building and techniques I'd be very interested. I'm just finishing collecting all my backpacking fly gear.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Jason, I'm no expert but I reckon I'm better off fishing for fish rather than flies. More meat on them. Do you have any do's and don'ts about telescopic cf rods? Like, don't buy a cheap one from Hong Kong? I was wondering if it could double as tarp pole and carp pole. ;-)

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Yes I am very interested.

Tony with big Brown

This past summer on a back country river somewhere in OZ

Tony

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

bigbrownthe question about fly fishing only, as i don't exclusively flyfish

pic from 2 weeks ago on a weekend overnight on a nearby stream – cooked her wrapped in foil on an open fire

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Cary, I think the site would be better if not limited to fly fishing. Too many high country lakes where spinning gear is needed.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

Would be very interested

I recently bought some light stuff from BassPro and hope to put it to use in the Yosemite high country later this year.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'd also go for a site that didn't limit itself to fly fishing. Much as I enjoy flyfishing, including fly tying, about the only way to fish high altitude lakes with a fly is by a bubble, or with an inflatable tube, which isn't exactly lightweight!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for your feedback everyone–especially about not limiting it to just fly fishing. Would those of you who would be interested in submitting content please email me at: [email protected]

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I'm interested too and would gladly submit some trip reports throughout the summer. Fly Fishing is one of my main back country pursuits. I keep a lake log so I can remember what worked best last time.trout

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

I'll gladly write some articles on how to fish sub-alpine and alpine lakes with a fly rod. Will be fishing the length of the JMT next month and will be writing an extensive trip report. Taking only a 0wt.

anacrime at gmail dot com

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I would be interested.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Good idea Jason,

One comment from me, right from the start of this site you are looking to build….don't put the focus just around the sport in America, make it an international site and Im sure it work out better.

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

I'd be interested for sure. Just started backcountry fishing in a serious fashion, but am already quite hooked (yes, I know, I'm sorry). The more I get into it the more there is to learn.

Oh, and my focus now is spinning, including the fly and bubble technique, so that would be my interest. Would like to get into fly fishing someday, but only so many hobbies at a time . . .

Joey Prescott

@paintball2404

A site that focused on fishing and backpacking in general would be nice. Not neccesairily (spelling?) just fly fishing. I think that if you opened it up to more types of back country fishing the website would be more successful. Either way I would visit the site.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools