Topic

3 season gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 season gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Not really looking to spend abunch of money to shed a few more ounces. Just looking for some suggestions on stuff to leave out or see if theres anything I might be leaving out. Title was supposed to say "summer gear list" but it wouldnt let me change it.

Pack:
    Golite Ion – 10oz

Shelter:
    Golite poncho tarp – 10oz
    BPL stakes 1oz

Sleeping Gear:
    Lafuma 45deg. synthetic bag – 20oz
    Thermarest Prolite3 short mat – 14oz
    BPL Flex air ultralight pillow – 1oz
    Tigoat ptarmigan bivy- 7oz

Cooking Gear:
    MSR Pocket Rocket- 3oz
    Fuel canister 6oz
    REI titanium pot w/ lid- 5oz
    Bic lighter- 1oz
    Katydyn Hiker pro filter- 13oz

Other Gear:
    Bandana- 1oz
    Kelty triptease 40ft- 1oz
    OR waterproof food bag- 4oz
    Platypus 1 liter bladder- 3oz

Comes out to 6 lbs and 4oz if my math is good. I usually dont carry any extra clothes in the summer because i'm only out for 3 days at a time. So add food and a full platypus and a couple other small things i'm sure i forgot and my weight comes out around 10 lbs.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Katydyn Hiker pro filter- 13oz

Steripen Adventurer 3.56 oz.
    Kills protozoa and bacteria and also viruses (which the Hiker cannot block).

Cheers

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Brian, Last summer I set out to do the same thing. Develop a very light weight set of gear for summer without spending too much money. Here is what I used if it helps, though its been posted before. The total weight was 4.95 lbs. I used this kit over a 3 day trip with a low temp of 38. If I get a chance I'll post my new summer list which does require significant money:)

There are a lot of similar items. I'd say the real difference is in water purification (as Roger pointed out) and in the sleeping pad. I can't say enough about having at least a wind shirt for extra clothing.

Packing:
    Golite Ion – 9.10

Shelter/Sleeping:
    Montbell Thermal Sheet Quilt – 14.30
    GG 3/8" Thin Light Sleeping pad (trimmed 38") – 3.45
    Golite Poncho Tarp – 10.75
    Montbell Breeze Dry Tec Bivy – 6.30
    8 Ti stakes – 2.25
    Spectraline (8 x 3 ft = 24 ft) – 0.65

Cooking:
    Platypus 2.5 lt. Water Bottle – 1.30
    ClO2 Purifications Tabs (20) – 0.45
    Platypus 1 lt. bottle – 0.90
    Trip Tease Cord 35' + REI Stuff Sack for Food – 1.85
    Fuel Bottle (4 oz cap.) – 0.60
    Everclear Bottle (3 oz cap.) – 0.40
    Snowpeak Trek 450 – 2.40
    Gram Weenie Stove + pan – 0.45
    Camp Soap (micro-dropper) – 0.30
    Mini Bic Lighter – 0.40
    Foil Windscreen & Foil Lid – 0.25
    GSI Collapsible Spoon – 0.30

Extra Cloths: 11.95
    Golite Wisp Windshirt – 2.85
    Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket – 6.90
    REI Merino Wool Light Hiker Socks – Low 2.20

Essentials in Ziplock:
    Keychain Thermometer/Compass – 0.30
    Cell Phone – 3.30
    Book – The 2 oz Backpacker – 2.40
    Microlight – 0.30
    Contact Saline – mini bottle – 0.40
    Sunscreen – mini bottle – 0.45
    Deet – mini bottle – 0.55
    Pen w/duct tape & needle – 0.30
    Denta burst brushes x 4 – 0.10
    Floss – 0.20
    Contact Case – 0.50
    Meds (4 imodiums, 4 bendryls, 8 pseudofeds, 16 ibuprofins – 0.40
    Extra Contacts – 0.50
    Gauze Pads – 0.05
    Match Book – 0.15
    Swiss Army Knife Classic – 0.75
    Ziplock Bag – 0.25

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Some feedback:
    ==========

Thermarest Prolite3 short mat – 14oz – The BPL torso-lite and/or the Montbell pad are 9.9 ounces and plenty comphy.

Cooking Gear:
    MSR Pocket Rocket- 3oz, Fuel canister 6oz – The canister stoves require heavy fuel canisters, alcohol is lighter for short trips. The options are cheap, compared to the heavy and expensive canisters.

REI titanium pot w/ lid- 5oz – 5 ounces? Use a tiny mug instead, much lighter.

Katydyn Hiker pro filter- 13oz – Wow, this is TOO heavy. Just get AQUA-MIRA and re-package it in smaller dropper bottles.

OR waterproof food bag- 4oz – 4 ounces? For a stuff sack? There are plenty of lighter options.

Platypus 1 liter bladder- 3oz – this seems wrong, a 1-liter bottle is lighter.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Brian,

I think you have a pretty solid list. Also agree with the other posters, get a lighter pad and another water purification system. Aquamira or Katdyn tabs work great for me.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I can't say enough about having at least a wind shirt for extra clothing.

Yeah – shivering in the wind is not why you are there!

Cheers

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Thanks for the reviews guys… I know I still have some heavy stuff. Just now gettin into the ultralight category and trying to replace my heaviest stuff a little at a time. I just purchased one of the new prolite xs pads tonight, it only weighs 8oz. The 3oz for the platypus was for the platypus hoser, sorry if I didn't clarify that. I have some of the aqua mira tablets, I might have to try the liquid stuff though.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Brian, looks like a pretty solid list for summer time. You could replace a few items to save weight, but if your not looking to spend any cash, I think your good to go.

One thing, is 1oz if stakes enough to pitch your poncho tarp? Seems kinda light…just checking :)

Think about leaving the Katydan Hiker at home and using your aqua mira tablets. Saves you a ton of weight. I like the tablets better then the drops for ease of use, the downfall is that they are more expensive per liter.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

It was about 1.25oz for the 6 BPL lazr titanium stakes. I rounded my numbers off to make it easier to post. Rounded some up and some down so it prolly equals out pretty close. If i'm off a little, no big deal. I will have to go back to my tablets then. I've still got a couple containers of them from a few years ago. Do they go bad?

Michael Sweet

@afplyr05

Locale: Pocono mtns.

They go bad after a year 4 the aquamira at least .

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

If this is your first time on an ultralight/superlight summer trip, depending on where you are going, I'd consider adding a heatsheets emergency bivvy. It's an additional 3.5 oz, but it's ~$12, and adds a lot of safety margin for the minimal additional weight.

Windshirt is also worth adding, and can be found for just a few oz.

The weight your saving by moving to tablets from your filter will more than make up the difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools