Topic

Boil in Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Thanks for that tip, Laurie. I didn't realize that you can "over-dry" veggies. I thought that more was better as far as long-term preservation goes. But a longer soaking time should do the trick.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

You want them to be dry all the way through but not overdried. The best way to do this is to make sure you are drying at 135°F or below. Stir the veggies on occasion too… this just evens out the drying. I do that twice during a drying cycle. Also to tell if they are done just tear a piece open. The inside should be dry but there shouldn't be any tiny beads of moisture where you have torn the veggie. If you dry them pebble hard they'll take a much longer time to come back and, corn especially, won't fully hydrate. I found that canned, frozen or cooked corn works best.

Granted the freeze-dried veggies from Just Tomatoes are excellent but in my case they cost a fortune because of shipping, duties and such – so I love having the option of drying my own.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Thanks for your good help, Laurie, and for taking the time to answer my countless questions. Your response on my hummus thread was very helpful. You are a true asset for BPL.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Git the stuff sarah, love the cozys!

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools