Topic

Cuben Fiber Rain Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Rain Shell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

I made a cuben fiber rain shell. It weighs aprox 1.5 ounces give or take a few grams. Made using .33 oz cuben fiber and the tape from KiteBuilder. I made a rough pattern out of a Tshirt I liked, then I increased the size a few inches. I made the hood using Thru Hiker pattern to start and modified it to fit my head as I went along.

I added a different type of visor, I thought this would work better in windy conditions. The cinch strap runs under the visor along its own length of fabric seperate from that of the visor.

Edit: Need to add some pit vents. Im thinking of just cutting a hole under each pit and covering with Thru Hiker mesh. Without venting it is like a sauna suit.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

The weight is so crazy, I nearly had a heart attack. :-)

Good job, now all we need to do is to convince a big company to make these.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Awesome…perfect winter vapor barrier aswell.

How are the seams holding up with the kite tape?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Dustin,
    Which tape did you use from Kitebulder?

Tap15 – Double Faced
    Tap16 – Super Seam
    Tap18 – C3 Sail Tape 3/8"
    Tap19 – C3 Sali Tape 1/2"

Thanks

Dustin F

@dirtt

I used this tape, Super Seam Tape 9460PC – 3/8".

The seams hold up fine for normal wear but if you pull on them hard enough they will seperate. I did notice the seams got significantly stronger after hanging up for a week or two. If it becomes a problem I will do a proper seam and fold the edges over and retape.

I didnt do a proper feld seam, I think its called a feld seam. I was lazy when I taped it and just taped down the seam and stuck both pieces together. Then I flattened it out with a chapstick tube like applying a sticker. Anybody can make these! :)

I have not tested in cold and wet conditions yet, hopefully the adhesive holds up. I have tested it in 100 degree weather and heat doesnt seem to weaken the seam. I live near the Southern most trailhead of the PCT so we don't see this kind of weather often.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I did notice the seams got significantly stronger after hanging up for a week or two.

Correct. 3 days is normally enough.

Cheers

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Very nicely done. What is that white rectangle over your left chest? A pocket? Fold in pouch?

On a secondary note – that is the worst case of frostbite I've ever seen – you might want to get that checked before your eyes, nose, and lips fall off…..

Dustin F

@dirtt

Its a stuff sack on the inside of the shell. The frostbite is from a recent trip to Tijauna.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Kind of scary,

Love the weight though

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Dustin:

Figured that is what it was – I really like it though. Thanks for posting the pics – very helpful.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

frost bite in Tj? That wouldn't be frostbite… nice looking shell though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools