Topic

11 ounce 1/2 zip fleece hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 11 ounce 1/2 zip fleece hoodie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

This is interesting… a group of well known mountaineers (Peter Whittaker, Ed Viesturs, Dave Hahn, Melissa Arnot, Seth Waterfall, and Chad Peele) have teamed up with Eddie Bauer to form a high performance line of clothing and gear.

One item that caught my eye was their 11 ounce $99 "Bat Hang Hoodie" which appears very similar to Patagonia's R1 Hoodie.

See (scroll down):

http://www.eddiebauer.com/FIRST-ASCENT/First-Ascent-Mens/First-Ascent-Mens-Insulation/index.cat

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

That's a nice looking piece. I've been looking for a new winter midlayer, mine is about ready for retirement.

The hangfire looks like a bomber piece if the conditions call for it.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Steve,
    How do you think this compares to the 10 ounce MEC Expedition Longsleeved Zip T?

The MEC doesn't have an offset zipper or a pocket but still looks serviceable at about half the price.

Editing: TRYING to add link…
    UNABLE to add link…
    Google [ mec zip t expedition men ]

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Greg,
    MEC makes great stuff, and honestly, you can rarely beat the prices. I haven't seen either garment in question but can run over and take a look tomorrow (MEC is across the street from me). I can live without the hood and pocket (I always bring my ninjaclava), but I would miss the thumb loops and the offset zip.

They are probably similar in warmth (no scientific reasoning other then the similar weight of the two garments).

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Just another option at a lower price. My Possum Down gloves and hat live in the tunnel pocket.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,38331_Sportif-USA-Brockway-Fleece-Hoodie-For-Men.html

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

melanzana

micro grid hoodie – comfy, light, great hood, inexpensive, very small business (5 people), super nice people.

spec on my XL is 340g (12 oz.)

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

But it's 5 ounces more…

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I kept looking for a cheaper alternative to the R1 hoodie but like the other options proposed above, none had all three of the options I wanted (the 1/2 zip, thumb loops, and off-center zipper). Finally patagonia had a web special (like they do now…) for a $70 R1 hoodie and I picked one up. Otherwise, I may have purchased the First Ascent version.

In my opinion, the R1 hoodie with the features mentioned above make it such a "must own" piece of clothing. It has such a diverse range of uses.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools