Topic

‘help build ultamate ul kit’

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists ‘help build ultamate ul kit’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hunter nelson

@hunt4car

I want to build the best ul kit around and I need your help.
    I want the kit to be sul and be able to pull off a winter trip with a little skill. I would like the fuel to be easily replenished. I will use this gear for long distance ul hikes and hitchhiking and more probably.

How I want your help
    1. help find lighter equipment
    2. help find multi use equipment
    3. help find better equipment
    4. help find flaws in kit (I have a feeling there will be quite a few)
    5. ANYTHING else every thing helps
    6. tell me what you like

Pack
    Cuben z-pack 5oz
    Several cuben sacks (storage ect.) 2oz aprox. Good for bear bagging
    Mesh to hold shelter that doubles as head net when sleeping (brilliant) x oz

Sleep
    Rckymtn no snivler 26oz
    Thin light pad 5oz
    I will also using down hat

Shelter
    Cuben poncho/tarp 10oz (thinking I will get the thick stuff so it will last)
    Bivy? If I got a big enough tarp I assume I could avoid this (is it worth it?)
    Air core line and tension things, like 2 oz?
    Stakes any ideas?

Food/cooking
    Spork x oz
    Weenie gram pro .5oz
    Evernew ti pot 5oz
    Alcohol containers x oz
    Cuben sack for food (by z-pack, he says rodents can’t get in to them!)
    Im having a little trouble finding a good cooking system look under ‘some thoughts’

Water
    2 liter platypus .5 oz (doubles as a pillow)
    Boil my water? Help?

Clothing
    Silk long sleeve shirt 3 oz
    Pants help?

Other
    Down bomber hat 3-5 oz
    Photon light 1 oz maybe
    Hiking poles (collapsible since I will probably be in peoples cars)
    Hygiene kit x oz
    Duct tape
    Lighter 1oz?

Some thoughts
    • To not need a bivy I was thinking I could have a cuben jrb quilt made, but then I will need a ground cloth or not because my pad would be on the ground.
    • I will put stuff under me on cold nights due to my thin pad
    • Do I need 2 platypuses? (So light I might as well?)
    • I have found that if im moving even in snow I can use shorts if it’s not horrible so my clothing may seem skimpy, but I think I can pull it off. Right?
    • I have no t shirt because its either the long sleeve of nothing for me
    • I would like to mention I have a VERY open mind so if you a have ideas throw it out there.
    • Your opinion please
    • Don’t suggest a coat the quilt doubles at that.
    • Opinions on a tipi cuben tent/poncho?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

My 2l platy weighs just over 1 1/2oz (I use the push-pull top off a washing up liquid bottle)

See Steven Evans cuban quilt thread. Tim Marshall made it and it cost $450. It's probably not suitable for all seasons – too sweaty in summer. A light nylon/down quilt made from a secondhand down bag is the cheapest way to go, there is a MYOG article on the forum if you join.

Flat tarps are easier to set up in woodland than open country if you don't have a bivy. A shaped tarp is more versatile for bivyless camping and all season use in various terrains in my opinion. I prefer stealthy green to come and look at me see through white. Insects prefer shiny stuff. If you want a shaped poncho tarp, check out the gatewood cape. They are brilliant, and light.

Lightweight zip-off trousers make multiuse shorts swimming trunks and longs. Mine are made by lowe alpine. A bin bag doubles as rainwear skirt and modesty wrap while washing trousers.

A small woodburner is easy to make out of a tin can and is more acceptable in ecologically sensitive areas. A wide pan like a 1.3l evernew makes the most of fuel and doubles as food store. You can get most of a jointed rabbit in one. A backup alcohol stove only weighs .5oz plus fuel. I use collapsible energy drink pouches for fuel bottles.

6" shepherds crook Ti stakes double as grill, pot supports, kebab skewers and many other things.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

1. I like the gatewood tarp… but I have a few things stoping me from buying it 1. I can make a normal poncho like this so what makes the gatewood better? 2. how will it work with a jrb no snivler on as poncho?
    2. tempted to get the caldera cone but the one I want is like 13 oz, opinions?
    3. like the 1.3l evernew idea and if I buy it at end2edntrailsupply I get it with a gram weenie pro
    4. do I need a grount tarp? The pan will be on the ground, sooo no?
    5. i need a wind screne ideas?

any more ideas? is there any thing i have that i can get in a multi use form?

Pack
    Cuben z-pack 5oz
    Several cuben sacks (storage ect.) 2oz aprox. Good for bear bagging
    Mesh to hold shelter that doubles as head net when sleeping (brilliant) x oz

Sleep
    Rckymtn no snivler 26oz
    Thin light pad 5oz
    I will also using down hat

Shelter
    Cuben poncho/tarp 10oz or gatewood cape ?
    Bivy? If I got a big enough tarp I assume I could avoid this (is it worth it?)
    Air core line and tension things, like 2 oz?
    6" shepherds crook Ti stakes(nice idea roger)

Food/cooking
    Spork x oz
    Weenie gram pro .5oz
    1.3l evernew pot 3.5 oz (thanks roger)
    Alcohol containers x oz
    Cuben sack for food (by z-pack, he says rodents can’t get in to them!)
    Im having a little trouble finding a good cooking system look under ‘some thoughts’

Water
    2 liter platypus 1.5 oz (doubles as a pillow)
    Boil my water? Help?

Clothing
    Silk long sleeve shirt 3 oz
    Sip off pants (on body)

Other
    Down bomber hat 3-5 oz
    Photon light 1 oz maybe
    Hiking poles (collapsible since I will probably be in peoples cars)
    Hygiene kit x oz
    Duct tape
    Lighter 1oz?
    garbage bag(nice idea roger)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I want to build the best ul kit around and I need your help.

Possible, but it tends to have different contents for every person!

Cheers

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Sorry, long. I must be bored.

My opinions so take with a grain of salt.
    Not exactly SSUL, but it works for me and it is light.

I do think just in general the more gear weight you can strip vs comfort depends a lot on your skills.

Pack
    I dont think a cuben pack is HD enough for hitchhiking but is okay for backpacking if you take care of it.

Hitchhiking your gear will get thrown around a lot, into trunks, back of a truck, or who knows where. A slightly more hd pack in the 16-20 oz range would probably be better.

Believe me I did it with a friend all the way around the USA with a Kelty alpine pack in the mid 70's. It was an experience for sure. Someone stole my buddys pack so he was stuck 1500 miles from home with nothing so that is something to think about too. FYI hide some cash or travelers checks somewhere anywhere on your body, money belt something or anything, in case you get ripped off. It happens, especially if you have nice gear.

We both had top equipment at the time. My pack averaged about 35-40#. His was heavier.

Sleeping
    I like the montbell UL SS down #4 for an all around superlight down bag. Those #4,#5,#7 down bags just pack up super small and they are roomy.

That said I now prefer synth though, mostly because of where I live. The #4 UL SS down bag is good to 35D. 21 oz. A little warm in the summer for me, but it zips far down into the foot area.
    Combine that with a med adv thermal bivy to extend the range quite a bit. 7 oz. Although I do use mostly syn bags now, I took that HH trip in the 70s with a down bag and we were gone for 3 months.

Ground cloth, I use a cheap emer blanket. Think I am going to something else though that is UL, IE not alum.

Pad, if you want UL I use 1/2 of a 3/8" blue pad with my bug out bag. Weighs 2 oz, but not real comfy unless you can pad underneath.

Shelter

Pocho tarp or an UL tent.
    I got a campmor extension poncho tarp – 58" x 104" – 9.5 oz. Titanium stakes or alum gutter nails if you are on the cheap. Kelty triptease or spectra cord.

I will admit I am an under the stars sleeper, but if its raining and or buggy I want a tent, period. When raining I also prefer to be able to wear my rain gear and set up a shelter.
    GG the one tent – 16.2 oz + poles

Think about where you will be. HH around sooner or later and probably multiple times you will end up at a campground.

In that situation, I want a tent, mostly so I can change cloths in my tent and avoid nosy neighbors, a small amount of privacy, can store my bag in the vestibule or in the tent so hopefully I wont get ripped off when I am asleep. You dont want to lose your backpack and misc gear mid-trip.

Cooking

Can get sticky
    Cooking over a wood fire or wood stove is the lightest overall IMO and will save you the weight of carrying fuel and a container. Of course it has its drawbacks. Skill level, slow, wet wood, no wood, gathering wood and you have to be able to gather wood and build a fire PDQ at times. Hard cheese in the rain.

If you go the small wood stove route carry some esbit as a backup in case you get stuck. It very light.

Actually Esbit is a good option but somewhat toxic. I am a wood fire or wood stove person myself, but if you want to cook on the trail quick esbit might be nice. Might also be hard to find on a trip. Would come in handy if you end up ina place where fires are not allowed.

I finally figured out a good heinekin wood gas stove that burns for 15-20 mintues. Weighs about 1 oz but you need a starter of some sort depending on the wood. Its tricky to get it to burn through unless its set up just right. I still have not figured out a good pot support.

You could also carry or make a spare alcohol stove on the road. A MYOG 12 oz heiniken can alcohol stove (.5 oz) works if you are hitch hiking and you are deperate IE no wood.
    Been there.
    You can find fuel at a hardware store of home depot autozone etc.

Titanium Spork is good. I carry a spare or two plastic set from mcdonalds.
    Free and weighs nothing.

I use a heinekin can pot 24 Fl oz (weighs 1oz) and cook and eat straight out of plastic bags. If the H can pot gets beat, buy beer, drink it and make another one. I also pack mountain house pro-packs. I only use the H pot to boil water. I prepack my food in plastic bags, and I have a cozy the bags fit in to hold the heat in and so you can hold it to eat. I have some other comfort odds and ends that go inside the pot/can and a few that go on the outside of the can for protection. I wrap the can with a bandana and use 2 plastic select harvest soup containers on the top and bottom just in case I want to mix some food. One for food, one for tea. I cut the alum ring off those. .6 oz each. Tie it together with velcro strips for tying electrical cords together. They sell those at home depot and they are red, with sort of a slip loop. Very light.

The H can stove above does fit inside the pot/can.
    I hate doing camp dishes, but if you are hitch hiking around you may have to cook a meal in a pot, IE a titanium pot makes sense. On my HH trip around the USA a lot of times we cooked rice and beans and whatever else we could scrounge up, at night if we were stuck. Always had some in my bag just in case.

Another option, carry a lot of food you dont need to cook.
    If HH on a long trip you are going to end up in grocery stores resturants, fast food joints a lot and you can get hot food there.

Water

I think water supplies depend on where you are and what you are doing. Also if you know where and what your water sources are going to be. I will say if I was going to mexico or South america I would take a steripen and the solar charger.

Right now, in my go anywhere hike kit, I carry 2 1 qt water bottles like you get at the grocery store, IE tonic water etc, one on each side of the backpack. Cheap and light and you can toss them and or buy another. Either that or 2 1 qt platys if you are small bag challanged. Have a holder with a clip for one to hang. Right now I use a aqua mira fronteir pro as a gravity filter in combo with MSR sweet water drops (5 minutes) The aqua mira setup is slow, but you can use it straight on top of a bottle if you are in a hurry. I Carry 2 2 qt platys. One is a dirty bag one is a clean bag. There is a youtube video on the net of a similar setup by JasonKlass. You could eliminate the clean bag and just use the two bottles to save weight. I carry an extra backup filter too.

The 2L platy is heavier than .5 oz though. Mine weighs 1.5 oz. I am probably going to swap out one of the fronteir pros for a platy gravity filter. Its faster, but its heavier.

You could do the same with 2 2 liter pop bottles + one extra bottom, but its bulky. I have one of those at my house and my parents house in case of a foul water scenario. Basically the same as above. One dirty bottle with the bottom cut off with a string to hang it, one tall bottom for dipping, and one clean bottle. Put the spare dip bottom on the bottom of the cut off bottle with all the tubing filters, sweetwater etc inside.

Boiling is cool and old style, like 50,000 BC, but it takes time, and you either have to carry fuel and a stove or build a fire. If you need 4 qts of water and only have a 1 qt pot, you will be doing a lot of boiling. If you have time or its an emergency oryou dont have anything else it works.

For quick SUL just use iodine tabs and strain your water through a bandana. Not my preference though. I use that for mostly an emergency pack when hunting or short hikes etc.

I also carry some extra hard poly tubing (3'long). Its light and handy along with several non lubricated condoms for emer water holders.

In some areas like the desert SW, Texas arizona New Mexico etc, you might want the option of carrying more water. Nothing worse than running out of water. An extra 2 qt platy might come in handy there.

I also carry a large backpack rain cover. Its a big flat cuben sheet with a draw cord all the way around. Works fine for that, but I can also use it for catching rain water, or as a solar still if I needed too. Its very light.

I also have a seattle sports pocket 12 liter bucket that is really nice at 4.5 oz. Thats more of a luxury item though and not for a SUL kit. A somewhat multiuse item that can be very handy at times.

Clothing

Obviously relative to the season, and can be heavy on a long trip but generally I always carry a pair of silk long tops and bottoms to sleep in or layer, spare pair of socks, rain hat, down vest, nylon shorts, all of it UL. If I am tenting it, IE no ponch tarp, or if its winter I carry a set of froggtog dryducks, top and bottom, as rain wear and that works as an extra layer. Cheap, light. Not so durable though.

I add additional layers for winter depending on where, but I wont go into the entire list. Cocoon hooded jacket, pants, UL gloves, and heavy wool socks are part of it.

Other

I carry a good bit of the other. Long list, but in general if you are depending on a wood fire, depending on your skill level, you might need an extra fire steel (keep one on my key ring), lighter or two, WP matches, tender (lint), cotton balls maybe some petrolium jelly etc. If traveling around you can find lint at any coin laundry and believe me if you are hitch hiking for any length of time, you will spend too much time in a coin laundry.

I also carry 24' of parafin dipped hemp cord. Weighs 1 oz. Cheap stuff from the dollar store. Cut it up into 1/2" pieces on top of a ball of lint strike it and it makes a great fire starter. Doubles for cord, but its not very strong. Good for general stuff though. I sometimes carry what I call a rat tail on a paracord survival necklace. Roll up a bunch of lint real tight, about 3/8" x 3" long, wrap it with parafin dipped hemp cord. I got mine stuffed into an old chapstick tube, the one with the clip on the end to hang. Makes a great UL fire starter. The actual rat tail itself weighs almost nothing.

I have a hygene and everyday bag that has all the crap you need for staying clean, dump, toothbrush, deoderant and the general stuff I use everyday, light, compass, map etc etc. Think thats personal IE whatever you need to stay clean and healty and on course. A lot of the stuff I carry is comfort stuff.

When HH around be sure to take enough deoderant and soap. People picking up HH's dont like stinky hitchers. Some might offer you a bed and bath and a clean place to stay but believe me thats not always a good thing. Did run into some great sleepover situations though. Things were different back then.

Have a modified small adv med emer survival kit, with all the typ stuff in it plus some additional items.

Have a small modified adv emer med kit.

Thats about it for now……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools