Topic

sul geal list (4 season?) help me make it lighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists sul geal list (4 season?) help me make it lighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    hunter nelson

@hunt4car

i think i have the skill to pull off using this 4 season what do you guys think?

give any advice on what you thing i need should replace or what ever.

i know some one will ask so ill say it now, joe from zpacks said he is willing to make me the cuben fiber poncho/tarp

pack
    zlight cuben fiber blast pack 5oz

shelter
    cuben fiber 8oz 8×8 ft
    ground tarp 3oz

sleep
    jrb rocky mountain no snivler (good to 0 fahrenheit) 26oz
    thinlight pad 5oz

food/water
    Weenie gram pro .5oz
    Evernew ti pot 5oz
    platypus .5 oz

p.s. i wont use this 4 season much if at all but i want to be able to because i plan to use this gear to roam the earth with no real destination and i know i will be the guy who dissapears for a year in to the woods… so i might as well plan for it. :) thanks so much

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

(my usual rant) 4 season is a very vague criteria (winter is different north of Moscow than it is in Thailand) pls define it more precisely (temperature, wind and precip).

But there are already mismatchs in that list. An alcohol stove will be very difficult (impossible??) to use anywhere near the lower limit of the jrb rocky mountain no snivler and I don't think I'd care to get by with a 3/8" thinlight pad at those same temps, but YMMV on that (that's the thinlight that weighs about 5oz)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Necessity is the mother of invention and I'm sure you'll find some dead bracken, straw or other insulation to supplement your choice of pad when you need to.

perhaps if you posted some info about the gear you are currently using in the winter season we could get a better idea of your current skill level.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

That's a lot of alcohol to carry into the woods for a year. If you're seriously planning on using your stove as you travel nomadically around the world I'd suggest either a multifuel (Whisperlite, XGK or Optimus), or a solid fuel burner (Bushbuddy, hobo or chippy) Relying on a single manmade low energy fuel source is going to get heavy, frustrating, hungry or possibly all three at once!

As to whether you have the skills, who knows? This is your first post here. Tell us a little about what you've done before, how smart and how determined you are. Pretty much anyone who's resourceful enough could do the trip you're talking about. You'll pick up a heap of skills and ditch a heap of gear along the way.

Just remember that being gentle with your gear and the time and resources to repair it are luxuries that you won't always have. Sometimes slightly more durable gear is worth the added weight on a truly extended trip.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

> Sometimes slightly more durable gear is worth the added weight on a truly extended trip.

At least Hunter is taking a foam mat rather than a neo-air. Great for wrapping your precious SUL gear in when it's being chucked around on a bumpy ride or fallen on. Don't see the cuben poncho tarp lasting long though. Might as well use a $1 poly dust sheet and replace it when it's done.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

i am currently using a bivy(worthless gi one but i make it work)and a 20 df sleeping bag.
    i have little experience with alcahol stoves but the alcahol stove would be more of a back up and i would plan on burning fires to cook( a trip like this would truly become a 'luxury survival trip'). i am used to bringinh a whisperlight stove and usualy end up lighting a fire to cook any ways(i have good fire lighting skills).
    as for the conserns with the size of my pad i may need a little help, one person said it was good in usung a foam pad and i think he is right but i have heard its too thin

i have a lot of experience with bushcraft and that i what got me in to backpacking. i have a lot of good skills that will aid me in trips like this.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

one person asked me to help give an idea of what the temp and turrain would be like.
    i would not go any were i thought would drop below 0 df and i can handle most turrain. if i thought it would be worse than my gear could handle i would up grade my gear.

my last trip i went on 4 season i got lucky because i almost camped at the top of a 1000ft+ cliff that was snow covered but had plenty of trees(for bedding and fire)but from the top of the cliff i spotted a beautiful blue lake which i hurried to and camped at. the reason im writing this is that i would like to give a example of my skill lvl. i am 100% sure i would have camped well up of that cliff with a ax and lighter and have camped with just a ax and lighter in simular situations before.

p.s. thanks for all the responces im getting keep em coming and throwout any gear ideas(i like multi functional gear i.e. poncho/tarp or jrb quilt)

Dave T

@davet

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Hunter,
    I'm all for pushing the limits, but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this list down to 0*F…I mean, you have 8 items listed – that's pretty hardcore.

How will you hold up your tarp?
    Poles?
    Guylines?
    Tent stakes? (Snowstakes if you are dealing with 0*F)

You can take the NS down to 0*F?
    Sleeping nude inside (don't see any spare clothes)?
    How do you keep your head warm?
    Pad is too thin for me, but maybe you can tough it out?
    What about moisture buildup in the down bag over time?

What size is the platy at 0.5oz? That's not much of a water holder.
    Going to eat with your hands?

First aid kit?
    Flashlight?
    Compass?
    Map?
    Toothbrush (one year will do some damage to those gums!)
    Soap?

Just curious…

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

whats that ax weigh? If you're gonna be gone that long and you dig cooking with wood anyway; you ought to look into a wood stove. Bush Buddy, caldera, etc. Sounds like it might be your style. And um, if I find you frozen can I have that JrB?;

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

Sorry im a little new to the whole thread thing here so thanks for helping me out…
    In response to Steven I would like to say I plan on having hiking poles and guylines with stakes. I probably would not bring snow stakes anyways because I know many cool ways to pitch in the snow.

First aid kit? Small but yes ( my most important first aid kit is in my head)

Flashlight? yes probably the photon light sold here.

Compass?
    Map? I am one who lives for new things, a man who would love to explore the blank spot of a map. Unfortunately there are few if and blank spots now so I discarded the map and make them.

Toothbrush
    Soap? Yes I would bring a hygiene kit ( I didn’t think to list it )

Yes I would have extra cloths
    Light pants
    Light long-sleeved shirt (silk)
    Warm pants maybe down and nice rain pants (I would probably buy the extra warm stuff before going)

p.s. my intent of making this thread was to get help with what else I need and what I need to upgrade change or what ever.
    However I do like to romanticize with the idea of disappearing for a while, but for your comments try to help me come up with a kit that would be useful for traveling random places by hitchhiking, hiking, biking, flying, whatever. I want it light, simple, and super versatile ( good for Alaska-Hawaii)
    Thanks for all the posts! Keep em coming a appreciate them all even if they say ‘your and idiot for not using a compass’ :)

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

In response to Rick Cheehy I would like to say I have considered using the caldera because it can be used with alcohol and wood but I figured if I wanted a wood fire I don’t need some fancy thing for it or extra weight,am I wrong is it light or worth the weight? By the way the ax is super light its by Gruber and I love it. : )

Short ax story: when I was in to bush craft I used this ax and a lighter on the far end of my property to test myself with my cousin with me. We had the shelter half built and went to go see one of the caves close by and as I left I stuck the ax in to a tree. We were no more that 20 feet from the shelter when I decided to bring the ax incase we needed it and when I got back it was gone. With the shelter half finished we had to go home before dark.

Months later I was walking with a friend back home(I asked him to lead home to test him and he went the wrong way but I was waiting for him to find out)and as we were walking my friend says ‘cool look’ and picks up the ax which had teeth marks from a coyote and hair on it. I still use the ax to this day and am always watching for that mischievous animal.

keep the posts coming they are helping a lot. :)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Well, the stoves weight more but you don't gotta carry fuel, which gives you more time b/w resupply and less weight overall. Search the forums for stoves, people love talkin' stoves around here. As for the ax: lookout man! It could of been a were-wolf, an ax wielding, UL were-wolf:) They can only be killed by titanium bullets!

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

thanks for the stove idea i will look in to that right now
    thanks a lot, any more ideas?
    p.s. if i see the ul warewolf i plan to drive a titanium stake through it after knocking it out with a carbon fiber hiking pole. :)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Hunter,
    If you truly want to put a slick list together and get realistic input from the community, you should start by making a list with EVERYTHING you plan on bringing on this trip. Then you can add/modify as needed. I think it would be fun to work on this list but as it stands now, your 8 items just won't cut it.

We get right down to the details here. :)

How will you light your stove?
    You have enough water capacity for 2 cups of water?
    At 0*F, you have no head gear to sleep in? Balaclava?
    Using a tarp with no bivy?
    How will you deal with insects and snakes while sleeping?
    Bear bag (alaska)?
    Rope to hang food?
    Water purification?

You can make the list in excel and add it to your profile for us to view.

Lots of experienced people on here, so you should be able to put a bomber setup together.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

thank you for the idea i will make a new posting and try to focus on a kit supporting will be amazing for what i need it to do and also try to make it possible to use it on 4 season trips( im not going to focus of the 1 year trip plans but i will make sure that my kit will have some gear good for this).
    thank you
    my new posting will be called 'help build ultamate ul kit'

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Hunter once you add a compass all the adventure is gone. Go Small, GO light, Go now. My personal experience is that on long term trips your gear gets beat to hell. I would pack a light daypack maybe around 900ci and figure the rest as you go. In Hawaii you dont need any gear or food. In Alaska You can rent anything you need for the whole summer for less than the cost of buying. Part of the adventure is making do. Bring a journal and take notes. If you are really going to do this I suggest you walk out the front door today, the first step is the hardest. I envy you. Ali

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools