Topic

Request for advice on Valle Vidal camps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Request for advice on Valle Vidal camps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott W Ellis

@scott152

Hi all,

Our 2009 crew is tackling Trek #26 (similar to 2008 Trek #22). We're looking for advice for the Valle Vidal area as far as Water, Privies, Bear rope / Bear Bag use, etc. Our camps are: Greenwood Canyon, Seally Canyon, Whiteman Vega and we'll be there starting 6/18.

thanks,
    Scott
    Troop 152, Cary, NC

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So this is not a Philmont trek?

Joe
    Troop 152, Midland, TX

Scott W Ellis

@scott152

Yes, it is a Philmont Trek (Trek #26), but the Valle Vidal area (north of the Philmont North Country) portion of the trek is actually outside of Philmont proper and I've heard that the camps up there are a bit different. We've been to most of the camps in the North Country portion of the trek.

thanks,
    Scott

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've spent a large amount of time up there over the last 40 years, and I've never heard of the Forest Service requiring the elaborate bear bagging that Philmont requires. Philmont will probably make you do it. And none of those campsites are on the recreational map I have. Sorry I can't help you any more than that.

You should break down and hit the Wheeler Peak Wilderness next time you're out.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Scott, you can find a lot of that information in the book that Philmont sends to advisors. philsearch.org is a good online resource. It's tricky to navigate but you can find trek 26 and each campsite listed. All have a description. Some have photos. You can find photos of anywhere at Philmont with a google search. It's a certainty that any staffed camp will have a bear line. You'll be in the Valle Vidal at the same time as our trek #28 starting on 6/24.

From philsearch.org:
    Seally Canyon
    Staffed Camp; Water: water tank unpurified; Facilities:
    Programs: Search & Rescue Wilderness Medicine

Greenwood Canyon
    Trail Camp; Water: stream unpurified;

Whiteman Vega
    Staffed Camp; Water: windmill unpurified; Facilities:
    Programs: Mountain Biking

The excellent maps that Philmont produces cover all of these camps. You can locate them your self with these UTM coordinates — http://www.watchu.org/Docs/Philmont_GPS_Coordinates.pdf.

See you at Philmont.
    Phil

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools