Topic

how should mitts fit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique how should mitts fit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

I have never really used mitts before but I was thinking of picking up a pair. However the size that is supposed to fit me seems too big. But then I tried on the next size smaller and found that I couldn’t move my fingers around much inside the mitt. Not that I would do anything with them but it seems like it would be nice to have some wiggle room. Is that why mitts are allways sized so large? To give you room to move your fingers around inside? Should I err on the bigger side so I have wiggle room or get the smaller one so it is easier to use with poles, etc.

Thanks,
    Bob

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Like any part of your body that requires circulation cramped is not better. Tight boot/sock combinations and tight gloves/mitts will lead to cold digits. Try different brand or split finger mitts like toko or pearl izumis to get a snug but not tight fit, also pay attention to how tight the elastic is around your wrists. You can use a light liner inside a mitt to take up the difference. Rent a copy of the Eiger Sanction and watch Clint Eastwood pull his Dachstein mitts off every time he clips in or places an ice screw in an ice storm, do not do this as you and the pro will become one.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Mittens should be pretty loose but not grossly so. One big reason is that it is hard to put on or take off tight mittens with cold fingers anyway.

You might want to try a different brand, because your hands might be just between two sizes. I almost always wear liner gloves inside my mittens anyway, so the extra size is even more valuable.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

It’s not that the mitt is tight, it’s just that I can’t stretch my fingers outward inside the mitt which is sort of a wierd feeling being used to wearing gloves all the time. Is that just normal in wearing mitts?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

This might be why you’ld like a lobster claw or split finger style, a mitten is basically made to curl around something and you shouldn’t be able to spread your fingers much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools