Topic

UL ‘all in one’ alternative to the Jetboil?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL ‘all in one’ alternative to the Jetboil?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Gibbs

@jessewg

Locale: Northern California

So I'm steadily trimming the last few ounces from my gear list, and one of the 'luxury items' that I'm having a hard time parting with is my Jetboil, I like the all-in-one nature of it, not to mention the reliability (It will fire up even in a stiff breeze).

The downside is that it weights in around 1lb. I would love to find a UL option with similar functionality at about half the weight. If I have to pull componentry together myself, that's OK, I just need something super-compact and self-contained.

Any suggestions/experiences are much appreciated!

Jesse

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I'm sure many of us would love to have the same thing. If you could engineer one you'd make a million.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Esbit Stove

Elegant, cheap, simple, light, efficient, sturdy, and compact.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

I use a Evernew .9L pot with a Snow Peak LiteMax stove. Once you throw the canister in the pot the stove fits nicely. I think the two weigh about 6 ounces together.

Kevin Da Silva

@kdasilva

I would check out a Snow Peak setup … I had the Jetboil and after some digging found it …

Snow Peak Stove w/auto ignite – 104grams/3.7ounces
    Snow Peak Pot (A few models are very light)- 150grams/5.3ounces

You should be able to get the stove into the pot.

Personally I have the GSI Soloist. Its a bit heavier but a luxury I allow myself.

Comes at a total 9 ounces which is just about half. Of course you could always go with a homemade setup.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The Trail Designs Caldera Cone option of your pot choice would achieve the same results as the Jetboil, boiled water, with similar functionality albeit the alcohol route. This kit really is the "UL" alternative to the Jetboil. The setup has efficient fuel consumption, integrated windscreen/pot stand, case, and is affordable if you already own a pot that is compatible with the Caldera Cone setup, which I believe is most, check their website.

I might be beating a dead horse and you probably are familiar with the Caldera Cone kit, so sorry if I'm stating the obvious, you never know, but I really think it is the best "UL" alternative to your Jetboil, if you can break away from the canister.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

As a former JetBoil user, I've found the the Vargo TiJet (2.7oz) combined with a FireLite pot/lid (2.75oz) is working almost as well. Not quite as wind proof or fast lighting, but so very much lighter.

David Ure

@familyguy

"As a former JetBoil user, I've found the the Vargo TiJet (2.7oz) combined with a FireLite pot/lid (2.75oz) is working almost as well. Not quite as wind proof or fast lighting, but so very much lighter."

+1

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Snow Peak Lite Max, Vargo TiJet and Kovea Titanium Mini are all from Kovea. Same burner, slightly different features.
    Franco
    Kovea is a Korean company located in Bu-Cheon City.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most any small upright canister stove with a Ti pot would be much lighter!

The Snow Peak models and the Vargo Jet-Ti (and the Kovea KB0101 and KB0707) are recommended. The MSR Pocket Rocket is not: pot supports are bendy.
    BPL makes some fine pots …

Cheers

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

When I quickly read this, I thought you misspelled "Korea" the second time you wrote "Kovea"–that the stoves were all "from" there. Then I realized that I was mistaken. You meant that they were all made by the Chinese company named "Kovea".

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Jesse,

Caldera Cone is my recommendation. Very stable, consistent, wind proof (or darn close), directs the heat to the pot (like a jetboil), fast boil times in the 4.5-6.5 min for 2 cups of 60*F water depending on the pot you use. Take only the alcohol fuel you need.

My Caldera Keg system weighs- Total for keg (beer can pot), stove, cone, lid, & stuff sack is 2.82 oz (80g).

Worth a look.

http://www.traildesigns.com/index.html

-Mark

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Y'all are missing the point. With a Jetboil you have a unit that stays together in one unit. I've made coffee while driving down the highway, canoeing down a river, and hiking down a trail. Caldera cones and beer cans aren't the equivalent of a Jetboil.

Jesse Gibbs

@jessewg

Locale: Northern California

Wow, I trust my jetboil, and have definitely eaten in the car, but cooking in the car definitely takes it to the next level! ;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Good point Tom.
    The only similar system is the Kovea Alpine Pot, however the Korean version is about 100g (3.5 oz) heavier..
    Franco

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Tom,

I really don't think I'm missing the point.

Jesse said "If I have to pull componentry together myself, that's OK, I just need something super-compact and self-contained." I don't deny the jetboil is a great unit. Cooking while driving was not in the list of requirements:-) The Caldera Cone is just one of several suggestion and the Caldera Keg system is more compact than the Jetboil. As to lighter wt->

jetboil system = 15 oz
    caldera keg system = 2.82oz

I rest my case.

Happy Trails,
    -Mark

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I think to make it a fair comparison, the weight of the keg should include the windscreen, pot, stove and cozy. It should also include the weight savings for fuel and container weight for trips shorter than ~5 days (eg for an overnight trip the Keg becomes particularly more weight competitive). I also consider the stability of the Keg to be a bonus. The top canister systems all suffer from the inherent insability of having a narrow base and tall profile. The biggest down side for the Keg is speed to get a boil, and having to assemble/dis-assemble the system. But the weight savings are so significant that it has to be a contender..?

I wouldn't use either system while driving !!!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

It wouldn't be so hard to use the Jetboil while driving if the stupid ignitor would work!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Lynn

> The top canister systems all suffer from the inherent instability of having a narrow base and tall profile.
    Um … dunno what canister you have been using, but a standard 230 g canister is wide and low. I have found the combo with a Snow Peak extremely stable.

Even the 450 g canister, which is a bit high, is stable enough sitting on a scrap of plywood. We have cooked for two through Europe for many months on the 450 g canisters with a Snow Peak and never once come near spilling anything.

Well, works for us.

Cheers

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I cut my jetboil down so that it weighs 300 gram (10.7 ounces). It is still all in one.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

+1 on caldera cone, i have one. i really like integrated stove systems such as the jetboil and i think the caldera cone is th UL version of jetboil. and the winds don't bother it a bit. it is so effecient and protected i was boiling water faster than a friend who had a multifuel stove with 5-10 mph winds. with the caddy it still weighs less than half of the jetboil, and i get a bowl as well. i really think the caldera setup is a great system and worth looking into.

David Stapleton
    BPL Member

@kamperdave

Locale: VA, DC, MD

Just to add my two cents… I also have used a Jetboil for a while and recently "upgraded" to a Snow Peak LiteMax and TiWare .9L pot.

Jetboil = 15.2oz
    New System = 6.4oz

Those weights are according to my scale.

The Snow Peak is just as simple to use and may have actually boiled water faster. If it did, I think the reason is that I have a wider pot and the flame on the Snow Peak spreads a bit more than on the Jetboil. That's based on zero scientific facts or measurements. :-)

-Dave

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Much as others have said: a Litemax or Gigapower at an averaged 2.25 ounces, plus about 4 ounces for a Ti pot (wide bottom for max efficiency, Evernew 0.9L short is great). The canister system will keep you with extreme ease of use and fast boils.

I've come to prefer my Ti-Tri in most cases. I like the titanium better than the aluminum version not only for wood-burning versatility, but also because it seems to be a bit more resilient in the face of trail abuse. For my 0.9L short pot, I use a Ziploc "disposable" storage container, I think a 4 cup round model; everything fits nicely inside, just like with your Jetboil. Oh, except the pot, which just gets food jammed in it. But my coffee mug does go in the caddie.

David Bengoechea

@daveben

Locale: Calgary, Canada

I've been using a Jetboil for the last few years (I'm stuck at lightweight, not an ultra-lighter) and thanks to reading this thread last night, I realized I could still use a cannister stove yet cut my stove weight down by almost half. Using a BPL 550ml titanium pot, and a Jetboil cannister that fits nicely inside, and then just use my MSR Pocket Rocket, I went from 700g for the Jetboil and cannister to about 400g with the new set-up. Thanks all.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

+ 2 or 3 for the Caldera Cone by Trail Designs! This system is a league of its own amongst the other UL stoves out there. I paired it with my Firelite 900 and have been amazed by the no-fuss efficency it provides. Faster boil times(under 6.5 min)+less fuel(15 ml) to get 2 cups of 60 degree water to boil= a no brainer! No more messing with flimsy foil windscreens or wasting fuel or esbit tabs. The Caldera Cone and 12-10 stove eliminate that really maximizing the efficency an placement of the burner in relation to the cookpot!Ultralite+near perfect cook system. Simply put, A+ 10!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools