Topic

Is Rae Lakes loop doable June 1-6?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Is Rae Lakes loop doable June 1-6?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carena C

@thecarena

Wondering about Glen Pass and the rivers… Anyone been up there yet?

It'd be 2 of us with relatively good gear. Were not beginners but we haven't done any passes involving snow/ice or river crossings.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Me and my son did this hike 2 years ago, but in Sept. We just got back from Weaver Lake this weekend 5/25/09 which is south of Rae Lakes quite a bit. The Lake was 8707 elevation and there was sill a bit of snow, had to hike over severl patches to get there, and stream levels were very high in spots. Lows at night were mid 30s. Someone said they tried to go to Jenny Lake which is further south and said it had to much snow to pass unless you knew where you were going, because the trail was covered.The reason I bring these lakes up is usally rule of thumb is the further north the more snow and the longer it last. Three years ago we tried to go to Rae Lakes in June but the river you have to cross above Paradise Valley was impassable due to high water washing over the log you use to cross the river, plus snow. If you have never been there Glenn Pass is pretty steep walking with a lot of rocks, but if the hot weather keeps up it might be clear. You might be able to contact some one at Cedar Grove that can give you a better Idea. I have a phone # in one of my hiking books that might get you to the rite person to ask , if I can find the book I'll post the # here for you. Jack

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Carena,
    I've done this loop 4 times, all early in the year.
    Three years ago in mid June when the snow level was high, there was no trail on the north side of Glen.

Every other year, about 1/2 or less of the north side trail getting down to the lakes were covered but visible so it wasn't all that bad.

The South has always been good. Just a few patches at the top is all you will see, if any.

Temps will be good, low 60's day and maybe below freezing at night. Might have some high winds going over Glen and 30% of showers during the day.

Go for it. It's a great trail.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools