Topic

How thin can a baffled down quilt be?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How thin can a baffled down quilt be?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I'm considering the idea of making a lightweight summer quilt using baffled, down construction. The question is, how thin can I make the baffles and still be practical?

I'm considering 1" tall baffles and fill them to an average thickness of 1.5" Also, my theory is that the baffle spacing is a relationship to the baffle height. In other words, the taller the baffles – the further apart they should be. The short 1" baffles would then require a spacing of about 3"-4" apart.

I know that I could do the sewn-thru method but, the idea of non-uniform insulation just doesn't sit well with me.

Does anyone have experience with making a very thin, baffled down garment?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Tom, of nunatak, uses a .75" baffle for for his 40* summer quilt.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Yikes! That's thin. Do you know what the spacing is?

I looked at the NunatakUSA site and all the Arc quilts look like they have the same number of baffles no matter what the thickness or temp. rating is. So, maybe my theory that baffle height and spacing are related is "hog wash."

:-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> maybe my theory that baffle height and spacing are related is "hog wash."

Nope! You were right the first time.

Cheers

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I just finished making a quilt with 1" baffles and 1.5" loft. I put the baffles 5" apart and I don't think any closer would have made a difference. In fact if you make the baffles too small I could see clumps forming which would be hard to shake loose in such a confined space. I don't think you'll be disappointed with 5" baffles. I figured when I made mine that if the down shifted too much I'd sew one or two vertical baffles afterward a la western mountaineering.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools