Topic

Gear List – Most Economical way to reduce

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List – Most Economical way to reduce

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

Ok, so the other day I bought a scale to help me analysis my gear weight. Most of this gear I took on the AT in 2002. I'm planning on hiking the Colorado Trail this year and I want to trim down pack weight. (no i'm no where close to being ultralight, at least yet) My pack, sleeping bag and sleeping pad are obviously candidates. So, where can I get the most bang for my buck?

Oz.
    Essentials
    Moonstone (20deg. Once upon a time) 3#6oz
    Them-a-rest (Old School) 2#6oz
    North Face Backpack (5lb 1oz w/ top) 4#8oz
    Silnylon Tarp 20
    Tarp Steaks 6

Cook/Kitchen
    Super Cat Alcohol Stove 0.3
    Plastic Fuel Bottle 0.5
    MSR Aluminum Pot w/ Lid 9

Clothes Packed
    Precip Jacket 12.5
    Red Ledge Rain Pants 11
    Microweight Fleece 7
    REI mid-weight poly top 5.25
    OR Windstopper Hat 1.5
    Bandanna 1
    Smartwool Socks (2) 4

Miscellaneous
    Camera 6.5
    Cell Phone (maybe) 4
    MSR Dromedary 4
    Camelback 1.5L 4
    Gatorade Bottle 1.5
    Aqua Mira 3
    Pack Cover 5
    Petzl 2.5
    Toiletry Kit (TP, Hand San., Sunscreen, Tooth paste/brush, floss, vasoline, bug wipes, mini knife, trash bag) 8
    Sunglasses/Hat TBD
    Guide Book/Map TBD

Total Base Weight (Oz.) 280.6
    Total Base Weight (Lb.) 17.5

Worn/Carried
    Shorts 6
    MH Shirt 4.25
    Gaitors 4
    Smart wool Socks 2
    Leki Super Makalu 22
    Chacos (possibly) 35.5

Total Worn/Carried Oz 73.8
    Total Worn/Carried Lb 4.6

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

The Super Cat Alcohol Stove was a new addition to the gear list. I just recently made it, so far at the house it has worked good. I was carrying the Whisperlite International before. That was a good 1 lb. plus savings.

My old Moonstone synthetic has lost a lot of loft. It is probably a 35 plus bag now. I'm looking at getting the REI Sub Kilo 20deg bag (29oz) from REI Outlet for $115. That will save me 25 oz.

I am also thinking of upgrading to the new Prolite Ther-a-rest (16oz) ~ $70 on Ebay. Appox. 22oz reduction

Between the sleeping bag and pad, that is about 3lbs. savings for under $200

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

That backpack has to go. 5lbs!!!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Yes, your best options are to switch out your stove (already), pad, backpack and sleeping bag.

The subkilo is a good cheap bag. There are lighter options, but they are more expensive. A golite ultra quilt is a much lighter option (under 20oz in regular) and good to about 30 degrees I believe. You can get them for about $170 new at the moment.

For a backpack, maybe consider buying a used Granite Gear or Gregory pack off the BPL gear swap. Should cost around $120 and save around 2-3 pounds.

Happy hiking!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Hard to beat GoLite in packs for bang for the buck. Especially if you can find a sale.

A POE Ether Thermo 6 is substantially more comfortable than a ProLite. Don't know about about weight or cost.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Another cheap way to drop weight would be to replace your rain jacket with a DriDucks jacket (weighs around 5.5oz and costs about $15… very breathable and waterproof, but not very durable, but only $15!).

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

Yes, I know it is too heavy. It is actually 4.5 lbs. since I generally go without the top. I didn't realize that it was that heavy until I just weighed it. I was thinking it was more like 3.5 lbs. I'll try to clarify that in the post.

I was thinking that I probably should work on getting my pack weight down first. Then once my pack weight is down, then I can get more of an UL pack.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

"Tarp Steaks 6" Sounds delicious, grilled over a campfire.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Of course the big one is your pack.
    Some smaller savings you could consider:

"MSR Aluminum Pot w/ Lid 9" This is a bit heavy. You could either spend $$$ on titanium or use a KMart/Walmart grease pot (~4 oz) or an IMUSA aluminum mug online
    https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html
    or Hispanic grocery stores often have them.

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

Yes, I read about that. And I actually went into Kmart the other day looking for it. But I couldn't find it in-store. My MSR pot is 1.5L (i really only need about 1L). It is 6oz. w/o lid. Maybe I could just use aluminum foil instead of lid. Although it is nice to sit the hot pot on top of the lid so I can place it on my lap while eating.

P.S. I love Tarp Steaks too, lol

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

You can easily replace your pack, sleeping bag, and mat and save 6lbs without breaking the bank at all. IMO that's where I'd start.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

You can get cheap pots from anti-gravity gear. Their AGG-brand ones are only about $10 or so, and if you later decide you want to get a caldera cone, you can buy one to fit your pot!

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

I had found this Osprey Atmos 50 for $95. 3#1oz.
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/784291
    Ultimately, I would like to get lighter though.

I would love to try on some Granite Gear, Golite… packs. I hate the idea of buying a pack w/o being able to try it on. Apparently I am told that I am borderline between M/L with a 19.5" torso, per REI.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I think the grease pots ceased to exist. I'm holding onto mine, in case they become an ultralight collector item. ;) I'm not parting with my AGG pot either, but it is what I would recommend if you are on a budget. Or, you could shop around and find a Snow Peak mug on sale for about$15-18. 600ml is plenty large for most folks.

I often see those old school Thermarest Ultralights on eBay for $20ish. They aren't very thick, but they are cheap and about 16 oz.

Are you carrying two hydration bladders? You could get a 2L Platypus bottle and carry two gatorade bottles for about 5 oz total.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I know this ADDS weight, but don't forget a foil windscreen for your cook kit!

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"I often see those old school Thermarest Ultralights on eBay for $20ish. They aren't very thick, but they are cheap and about 16 oz."

My Therm-a-rest is definitely old school, ~15-20 years old. Still works great, just heavy and it takes up 1/3 of my pack space, arggg. (that is why I think the new prolite would be great, packs small.

Has anyone tried the Prolite 16oz? Is it puncture prone?

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"I know this ADDS weight, but don't forget a foil windscreen for your cook kit!"

I made a test alum. foil windscreen. Doubled over the top and bottom and punched a few air holes in the bottom.

Will the foil last very long?

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"Are you carrying two hydration bladders? You could get a 2L Platypus bottle and carry two gatorade bottles for about 5 oz total."

The 1.5L camelback I use for hydration on the go. The Dromedary is about 4L that I use for camp. (a few times on the AT the water soure can be 1/2 mile down the mountain, nobody wants to make that trip twice). But this probably should be looked at.

I guessing your 2L Platypus is w/o a hydration hose?

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"The subkilo is a good cheap bag. There are lighter options, but they are more expensive. A golite ultra quilt is a much lighter option (under 20oz in regular) and good to about 30 degrees I believe. You can get them for about $170 new at the moment."

I tried out the Golite Ultra in the store. I really did love it. (Not 100% sure it will be warm enough in Colorado above 10,000 ft. though.) I've been researching about making my own quilt. But after finding the REI Sub Kilo for $115, it seems hard to pass up. I couldn't buy that amount of down for that price.

I also have a 800 fill Moonstone bag liner (8oz fill weight). I was considering combining this liner with a summer bag/quilt. Then I would have a convertible system. But it would weight more than the 29oz Sub Kilo.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> I'm looking at getting the REI Sub Kilo 20deg bag (29oz) from REI Outlet for $115

You must have got the last one.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

>I think the grease pots ceased to exist. I'm holding onto mine, in case they become an ultralight collector item.<

The infamous greasepot is alive and well. They do seem to be getting harder and harder to find at the big box stores though.I keep a healthy inventory in stock, so as long as I can help it they'll be available:

https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The grease pots are with the kitchen accessories, not with pots and pans or sporting goods.

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"> I'm looking at getting the REI Sub Kilo 20deg bag (29oz) from REI Outlet for $115

You must have got the last one."

About 2 days ago it did get sold out. However, I contacted the REI customer service and they told be they would be restocking it Thursday (today) as they would be receiving a new order. And sure enough, it is back up today.
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000021

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

"Another cheap way to drop weight would be to replace your rain jacket with a DriDucks jacket (weighs around 5.5oz and costs about $15… very breathable and waterproof, but not very durable, but only $15!)."

How do the DriDucks compare in regards to warmth? Also, i noticed you did not recommend the DriDucks pants. Not durable enought I assume?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

>"I guessing your 2L Platypus is w/o a hydration hose?"

I have a 2L Playtpus as well. It weight 3.5 out of the box. The supplied hose is really long and it's not too hard to trim off .5 oz worth. So 3 oz for the Platy + 2 Gatorade bottles at 1 oz each=5 oz. It requires spending more money, but the 4L Platypus water tank weighs 3.6 oz vs 8.7 for the dromedary.

Otherwise, as everyone else has said, while the backpack and sleeping bag might cost the most, they will save you the most weight.

The REI Kilo is a good cheap bag but I've read complaints as to it's snugness. At 57" shoulder girth, its 2" narrow than my WM Summerlite, and a lot of people on these forums consider the Summerlite too claustrophobic for their tastes. I'm a 5'10", 175lb guy, and I don't think I could go narrow than the summerlite. In the Kilo, my shoulders would be touching the sides of the bag, no room to layer on my down jacket if temps got colder than expected. Marmot and Montbell both make good 15-30 degree bags that often go on sale.

20oz is pretty heavy for a Tarp. Oware makes a nice 1 person tarp for $80 at 8.5 oz including guy line and stuff sack. (I have their 2 person tarp and love it)

If you like the Osprey Atmos, look at the Exos line. The Exos 46 is only 2lb 5oz. An even 2lbs if you remove the optional lid, which you shouldn't need with your amount of gear. basegear.com has a perpetual 20% of offer for the price of adding your email to their mailing list. That puts the Exos at $143.

Check out basegear for sleeping pads as well.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The REI Kilo is a good cheap bag but I've read complaints as to it's snugness. At 57" shoulder girth, its 2" narrow than my WM Summerlite, and a lot of people on these forums consider the Summerlite too claustrophobic for their tastes. I'm a 5'10", 175lb guy, and I don't think I could go narrow than the summerlite. In the Kilo, my shoulders would be touching the sides of the bag, no room to layer on my down jacket if temps got colder than expected.

He could consider using the Kilo like a quilt. A lot of folks (myself included) eased their way into quilting that way. At 57" shoulder girth it'd layer well over a lot of high log clothing if needed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools