Topic

Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

defanging snakes is dumb and unacceptable in the modern world. you can choose to call it whatever you like. i chose my words carefully.

however i realize you won't change your mind over the internet, so on w/ the defanging for all i care. rock some alligator boots and maybe even a fur coat of some animal of which you are not too fond of. it's all good.

have a nice day sir

Melisa Hickman

@melix

Locale: Bay Area

Hey You Guys,
    I've had two scary close calls with almost stepping on a rattlesnake in Yosemite on Fastpacking trips. The first time was a solo trip and I was mid way down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne – a long way from help – I still get shivers when I think about how that might have tuned out. So, my question to anyone in the know – what is current practice for bites? The old kit my pop used to carry it a relic – I've heard that the concept of cutting open the would and sucking out the venom is a thing of the past, so what can you do???
    Thanks!
    Mel

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

I guess the most recent school of thought is no cutting no sucking or anything along those lines. You are to disinfect the wound, lower the area below your heart and imobilize the limb if applicable.

You are to bandage the area slowing down blood flow but NOT restricting it as that will cause futher trauma. Keeping in mind that you must account for swelling so as the area swells check the badage to make sure it is not too tight i.e. you can slip a finger under the dressing.

Then call in for help and get a ride out if possible.

I guess for the most part suction doesn't help much at all since most of the venom travels quite rapidly.

[edited for truthiness]

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

you do the opposite of what you would do for a sprain. on a poisonous bite make sure to lower it below your heart. you want to decrease circulation back into your heart.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

yeah i meant lower

Melisa Hickman

@melix

Locale: Bay Area

Josh and Alex –
    Thanks for the basic First Aid snake bite lesson – much appreciated!
    Mel
    ps – "truthiness" – great term

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools