Topic

5/20/09 – Picture Perfect on Pitcher Mountain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 5/20/09 – Picture Perfect on Pitcher Mountain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Wow. Why haven't I done any hiking since March? Early this morning I strolled up to Stoddard, NH and had a very enjoyable hike up Pitcher Mountain. I wanted a nice and easy hike somewhere on the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway to try out some new Inov-8 trail runners while wearing my overnight pack with a goodly amount of water stowed. I was treated with some very nice views for very little effort.

Pitcher Mountain is a 2,153 feet (656 m) monadnock located in southwest New Hampshire. The mountain is traversed by the 50 mile (80 km) Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway and offers 360 degree views from its open summit. Lower elevations are wooded with species of the northern hardwood forest type; small stands of coniferous red spruce cling to the upper slopes. A fire tower stands on the summit and a dairy farm occupies the east shoulder of the mountain. Pitcher Mountain is part of an extensive area of heath barrens and blueberry fields that continue north over Hubbard Hill and Jackson Hill.

I have some pics here: http://tobit.hlrse.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=22

I want to hike this trail again real soon. Next time, however, I want to hike up even earlier in the morning, before sunrise, so I can be there as big red awakens. This trail is super easy to follow and should be no problem, with a good headlamp, for such a hike.

I'm going to try and spend a lot of time hiking in this area this season so I can try and get in shape for a thru-hike of this trail in October. Next week, I am off to try and tame Mount Monadnock again.

Pitcher Pasture

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Great pix JT, thanks for sharing. I am really looking forward to my thru this weekend. I spoke with the Dublin police and got the nod to park were we discussed! Thanks for al of your help, this will be great JMT training…

JT Croteau

@tobit

I hope you are having a successful hike this weekend, looking forward to your report.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

thanks JT, we finished the M/S Greenway last night at 5:30 after starting Sat morning. When I regain the feeling in my feet I will write up a trip review with pix…

JT Croteau

@tobit

Wow, sounds like made some nice time out there. I'm looking forward to the report. Today I attempted to summit Mount Carrigain but failed. I am still not quite in shape to be hiking more than 5 mi./day in the Whites and Carrigain is a 10mil round trip.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Nice, yea it takes some time to get up there in mileage in the whites with the terrain being so hard.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools