Topic

hybrid tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hybrid tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert Quimby
    Spectator

@traildog

Locale: Great Lakes/Ontario

11 oz. , 8.5' long by plenty wide. i bogarted some other designs and made a modified flat roof that tapers at the foot. the foot has a small beak that has been modified from the pic to provide more slope and not be so straight back.
    bivy1
    i wanted to be able to sit up and cook under it, even if i had to stake both long sides to the ground. the height at the head is around 3.5 '
    bivy under tarp
    a carbon fibre arrow shaft ( .2 oz, guy charged me $2 ) is used as a spreader at the head.
    head end showing flat roof and spreader
    my summer solo set-up is now finished: homemade ray-way quilt ( 60 deg ) on insulmat max thermo mattress, both inside a ti goat bivy, all under the above pictured tarp. total weight : 4 lbs, 2 oz.
    i know i could drop big weight ( like almost 1 lb. ) by changing my air mat but forget it; i sleep crappy without it.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Great bit of home-grown there Robert! Question about the tail: it looks like it could be configured to have a small beak. Is this the case?

Awesome idea with arrow-shaft; I might be bogarting your design for my next tarp!

Robert Quimby
    Spectator

@traildog

thanks scott, there is a small beak on the foot end. as you can see, i measured it wrong and the beak doesn't have enough slope, it's too straight back. it was an easy fix though; i just sewed the sides together for about 3", down from the beak tieout

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

This solves one of my big pet peeves with my tarp, which is the lack of headroom if I have to pitch the sides low. I wonder if a side-pullout similar to Oware and MLD use would increase the head and shoulder space even more? I think that would help with another of my pet peeves with my flush-pitched tarp: the narrowness at shoulder and head height makes it difficult to avoid brushing against the sidewalls. I've been puzzling about this for the last few days while camping, but I think you've solved my quandry.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The spreader is Brilliant!

By tying the cord from the tarp into a tight loop, a single (tall) pole or forest stick could support the front, versus the never-present perfect tree limb.

About how high is the front edge in this pict?

So simple, so perfect.

Thanks.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

> By tying the cord from the tarp into a tight loop, a single (tall) pole or forest stick could support the front

Until the wind hits it. Maybe adding two more small cords to the spreader ends to tie further down the pole would stop it flapping.

"Get that foresail tied off Bosun, and be sharp about it!"

Robert Quimby
    Spectator

@traildog

greg,

in the pics, the front is about 4.5' high. i designed the tarp so that when it's pouring rain, i can peg the long sides flush to the ground and still have 3.5' of height at the head ( by 6' wide ), enough to sit up and cook. the foot end is 2' high.

thanks

trail dog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools