Topic

Hike number 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hike number 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rob wil

@auradar

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)

okay, this is our second hike. I won't be posting anymore of these little hikes, but I'm still excited so I wanted to do this one more time.

My boy (7) and I did a 5.2 mile through hike on the Florida Trail. Still getting ready for the mountains. This time we took some cooking equipment to try out. I took an egg crate and sheet to sleep on and packed his sleeping bag, he just had to tote the pillows and food, not much.

Lessons learned:
    1) Those firegell things, you can't put your pot right on top or you're smother the fire out. So I need a stove setup of some type.

2)my tent needs seam sealing. The last couple tents I bought were already sealed. I got this as a company anniversery present and didn't think about sealing the seams. It rained and leaked a bit.

3)Need to loose the pillows and egg crate. They didn't get wet this trip, but if they had, it would have been a mess. Never thought about that, but I need pillows and pads that are okay to get wet

4) boy's pack was about 8 pounds and worked great

5) I decided to pack two bottles of water and then refill them as we went alone. I don't like them. When empty, those water bottles crumble up easy and when stored in a pack, I could see them getting cracked and therefore losing your water container.

6) I need a lighter tent!!!!!!

anyway, just another newbie wasting space with a cheezy little hike. But man oh man, the boy had a wonderful time. This is really fun.

I took some pictures with a cell phone and made the boy a little book. I'll try posting the pics.

slide1slide2slide3slide4

rob wil

@auradar

sorry, I can't edit a post and didn't EOL between pics.

here's some more

slide5

slide6

slide 7

slide 8

slide 9

rob wil

@auradar

the boy had a great time. He does stuff on hikes you would never get him to do other places. He wanted to wade the creeks, ate the best supper he ever had, only wanted to drink nice, refreshing creek water, etc.

he doesn't look all that excited in the pics, thats because thats how he poses. He thinks it makes him look good. You should see his school pictures!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nice job Rob!

Time and experience will help you move into better gear. But you clearly demonstrated that attitude and motivation easily trump gear.

You're out there.
    You're Both having fun.
    It doesn't get much better.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

It's great that you're excited about your time with your son. Oh how many boys wish their dad would take them on a hike!

I'm taking my kids on their first overnighter on the AT in Shenandoah next month and I can't wait!

rob wil

@auradar

the boy took his picture book to school to show his class. He also took his water filter to give a demostration as well.

We set him up with a clear picture with dirt in it. he filled it up with water so he had a "dirty creek" as a source. He then filtered the water to his water bottle.

He said the whole class was yelling "drink it, drink it" and erupted when he did. He had a great time with this.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

That's excellent! Glad to hear that he is now the local 11 yr. old backpacking expert.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rob

> I don't like them. When empty, those water bottles crumble up easy and when stored in a pack, I could see them getting cracked

If you talking about PET (soft drink) bottles, be assured: they are rugged! I use 1.25 L ones, and they last me a couple of years of intense use.

Cheers

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I have worked for a PET company and currently for a food company that uses those bottles…I agree that they are durable.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

My kids love to get out. It is great to share it with them. Enjoy.

rob wil

@auradar

>>if you talking about PET (soft drink) bottles, be assured: they are rugged! I use 1.25 L ones, and they last me a couple of years of intense use.

No, these were little 1/2L, thin walled, walmart bottle water bottles. You can easily press the side walls in when they are full of water. When empty, they crumble very, very easily.

But you're right and thanks for posting. Coke bottles (thats soda bottles for all ya'll not in the south) are far more rugged, thicker walled, and stronger, even when empty. I'll start saving those for hikes.

Although, this year my resolution was to lay off cokes. Guess this will give me a legitimate reason to cheat.

rob wil

@auradar

>>That's excellent! Glad to hear that he is now the local 11 yr. old backpacking expert.

actually seven.

He got a little uncompfortable when a little girl asked about bathrooms, but other than that, he was a fine lecturer on the art of light weight backpacking.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

My mistake, I guess he just seemed older after that hike under his belt.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rob

Yeah, the plain water bottles are not so strong, but even they do last. My wife has been carrying a little 330 mL one for years without damage.

You don't have to drink Coke – silly bottle shape anyhow. Even just plain FIZZY mineral water comes in strong bottles.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools