Topic

Wanted: Custom made side pockets for pack, will pay $$$

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wanted: Custom made side pockets for pack, will pay $$$

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I’m looking to hire one of you creative folks to make a couple of mesh side pockets for a pack of mine. While I’d love to sew my own gear I have no skills or sewing machine so I’m at a loss. I’m also in a bit of a time crunch and need the pockets by June 5th.

The pockets would be removable with elastic openings very similar to the photo below. The pockets themselves would be used to hold water bladders (Platypus or soft sided Nalgeen canteens) I intend to attach the pockets to an Osprey Talon 33 pack via some plastic mitten clips. I am able to provide all the needed dimensions to help out with the sewing.

pocket

I’m willing to pay for all materials, labor, and shipping. I understand that quality workmanship takes time and skill and I am more than willing to pay handsomely for such. Shoot me a PM or just reply here if you’re interested in taking up the job.

Thank you for all your help.

Chad

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Ask Joe V from Zpacks. He did some custom work for Roleigh, and I got a quote for another project I was working on.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for the contact info! I will definitely give Joe a call!

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

I second the recommendation for Joe. I'd also highly recommend contacting forum member Tim Marshall ( MarshLaw303 ) who is dang good. He made a couple of packs that he sold on the forums to rave reviews, he repaired a pack for me and converted a Marmot Hydrogen I had into a quilt. His workmanship is impeccable and he is a pleasure to work with

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Did you check out the local sewing machine shops? They might be able to point you to someone local.

If you are in Duluth, you might check out Duluth Packs, I've never been to Duluth, but I understand they have a retail store and also offer factory tours. There is surely someone in Duluth that could sew your project with ease, if you are in Duluth.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I do live in Duluth Minnesota, just like my profile says. Sorry but I just thought I'd make that clear sinse you asked a couple of times. :) J/K

I have checked out the two local sewing machine shops and there are only tailors in the area willing only to do alteration to existing garments. This was quite a surprise to me as I thought I would have no issues finding local talent to help me sew up my project.

While I would prefer to use local companies such as Duluth Pack or Granite Gear using there services for custom backpack modifications are not an option. While both of these companies are in Duluth (well Two Harbors for Granite Gear) neither company does their production sewing anywhere near Duluth. As such neither company is able to do custom sewing jobs.

While both companies do employ a small in house sewing staff these talented people are used for only development of company prototypes and the refinement of existing products.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Try http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com. I've used them for adding interior water bladder pockets, a project that required disassembly and resewing of the pack.

Also…in Lutsen…www.heavydutysewing.com

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Oooo, I didn't know about Lutsen place, thanks!

I've already contacted Joe from Zpacks and we've worked out a nice design. As soon as I get it I'll post up some pictures and let everyone know how it worked.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Duluth!!
    Sorry I had to get in on that action, I love that name sounds like onomopea.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

It’s nothing like onomopia! It sounds like the last name of some fruity Frenchmen who came here looking for beaver! :)

Ah Sir Fon Du Luth, you silly beaver lovin' Frenchemn!

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

I say it sounds more like the sound I make when I catch my trekking pole on a root and it racks me in my "little hiker maker"

"DULUTH!"

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

If that's happening then you're using your treking poles oh so very wrong! :)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

HYOH buddy! :)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I'm just sayin'! :P

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools