Topic

New Balance vs. Inov-8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Balance vs. Inov-8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

I am getting ready to order my first pair of Inov-8's from Zappos and, although they have a great return policy, I'd still like to get the sizing right the first time if possible.

I've read that Inov-8's run small so I'm wondering if anyone has worn both New Balance and Inov-8's and can tell me if they run small when compared to New Balance. I wear a size 12 in just about every New Balance trail runner I've tried so, if Inov-8's run small, I guess I would need to order a 13.

Thanks for any input and I realize it may be for not.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

All the New Balance shoes I have had run true to size.

I would suggest going a half size up with Inov-8.
    Which ones you getting?

JT Croteau

@tobit

"I would suggest going a half size up with Inov-8. Which ones you getting?"

I was just re-reading your X-Talon 212 review and think I am going to give them a try. If you say go up a 1/2 size that's good because they don't have any 13's in stock but do have 12.5's. =)

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Using the fit guide on the Inov-8 website here, I should wear a size 11 shoe. But I have wide feet, so I wear a 12.5 in Inov-8. I've borrowed a couple pairs of my Dad's Old New Balance's, because he has wide feet as well, and NB offers wider shoes. I find I can get away with an 11 in those, tho 11.5 would be more comfortable. So it was a full size to a size and a half difference for me, but that is in the wide version of NB vs the standard D-width of Inov-8.

JT Croteau

@tobit

"Using the fit guide on the Inov-8 website here,"

Yeah, this has me right around the 30cm measurement, give or take a 1/4 cm. So that means a 12.5 so I think I will give that size a shot. My feet are anything but wide, if anything it's on the narrow side of D-width.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the wide version of NB [that's 4E] vs the standard D-width of Inov-8.

My 2c: never mind the brand; check the width and the fit!

I need 4E. I don't care how good the D fitting is: it will be too narrow for my feet. End of story.

Cheers

Paul Lippi

@ozniot

My NB 811 in 10B fit the same as my Inov-8 Flyroc 310 in 10.5. I like the Inov-8 better, the toe is less pointed, but both shoes are lightweight and have good traction on rock.

James Hopson

@jbhtek

Locale: Upstate New York

Hello,

I am sorry I cant answer the sizing differance between the New Balance and The Inov 8. But what I can tell you is this. Get the proper fit sneaker. If you have a wide foot do not get a D width and compensate with a longer sneaker. get the proper width and length sneaker. If you compensate on proper fit both width and length then you are more likely to get blisters. Improper fit usually means more friction and hence more blisters. Its one thing about casual sneakers to not have proper fit but if you hike alot dont compensate. Also to help with reducing blisters use two layers of socks. This helps reduce friction as well between foot and sneaker.

I would contact the manufature of the Inov 8 and ask them give them the measurements of your foot. Also check on arch support as well a large arch with a flat foot will cause pains after a while.

Just my 2 cents.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Just received my 212's from Zappos and, at 12.5" sizing, they are a near perfect fit. They feel really good here in the house, will head outside for a little walk in a couple hours and will hit a trail on Wednesday.

So, for me, NB size 12 = Inov-8 size 12.5 (so far anyway *g*)

JT Croteau

@tobit

No complaints with my 212's yet. I put lemonade colored lock laces on them and wore them around the house and neighborhood with a pair of smartwool sock liners and they feel pretty darn nice. I am going to go climb Pitcher Mountain with them on Wednesday and see how they do in situ.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

I have experience with both brands. Inov-8 gave me the worst heel blister( bloody wound) I've ever had. Very minimal collar/heel padding. Last year I switched to NB. Great, except in wet conditions its like walking on ice on rock or logs. My previous shoe preference was Montrail Vitesse. Good traction, 27 0z weight, and now discontinued. I plan on trying Montrail Hardrocks or Mt Masochist this year.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Oh yeah baby. These 212's are keepers, they felt really good on the trail this morning. Edit: I was also carrying a pretty heavy pack; my overnight pack with 5 liters of water in two bladders. No issues whatsoever on this hike around Pitcher mountain.

Inov-8 212 on Pitcher Mountain

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

> Oh yeah baby. These 212's are keepers

Awesome.
    Gotta love them Lock Laces.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools