Topic

Pliers, scissors, locking blade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pliers, scissors, locking blade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

I like tools. Not the kind I make latte's for all week at my day job, but the kind men use. Real manly men. I find all I really need in the back country are pliers, scissors, and a small knife with a locking blade. So what's the least "gravity challenged" way to achieve all three?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Rick, I was looking for pretty much the same (minus the locking blade) as you last year. I found that the tough issue on this is looking for both pliers and scissors. Typically, they don't add both to the smaller weapons of choice. I've since moved to just a razor blade but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Oh, and get ready for a million guys wondering why you need all that…why do you? ;)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Yea I woould love a Letherman squirt sized multi-tool with just pliers, scissors, and a locking blade. Seems like a no brainer right? Maybe a firestick built in, that's going past the concept, but it'd be cool. I have a box cutter style razor that they sell on this site. It's the right weight but I have big gorilla hands so…

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

what use is a plier?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Good question, it's a personal thing, sort of. I use pliers at work very often so they're the first tool I go for in most situations where I need grip, torque, or to grab something small. On the last trip (tue and wed in SNP) I used my pliers to unsag a zipper, pound in and pull out tent stakes, fix my trekking poles and I use the wirecutters to snip some cord and modify the compression straps on my pack. I also wus 'em for a pot holder, grip anything wet (like a wet stick I'm stripping for kindling etc), fishing a string back out of the hole on drawstring pants, pulling a hook out a fish,pulling out ticks, fixing my glasses, stuff like that. Most of those tasks could be done with different tools (like a rock) but pliers feel natural in my hand so it's a luxury item.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Rick,

Buck used to make a "mini" multi tool which is smaller & lighter than the Squirt. The tools are a bit light in construction, but not cheap – what I mean is don't expect heavy, and "indestructibility". And there's not locking blade.

But if you use them carefully the mini will last a long time. I have bought two on ebay over the years and still have both (one in new condition, tucked away). Search for them and occasionally they will pop up.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Cool, I like Buck knifes.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I've fixed several things with them

most importantly, i've fixed my fishing reel a couple times – once the day before catching the largest golden trout of my life

there's a pretty small, light, cheap multitool often sold in fishing stores that has pliers – about $6 or so & it's smaller/lighter than a squirt

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I've used pliers many more times on a hike than I have a knife. Nice for gripping poles, fixing packs, etc.

Someone always has a knife. Not many carry even a small plier.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

I'm thinking about taking apart my squirt and taking the extra tool out of it. Has anyone done this?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Just realized that's a great name for a UL punk band.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

I'm somewhat partial to the Buck X-Tract Fin:

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3575

David Rowenhorst
    BPL Member

@row435

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The best solution that I have come up with is to carry something like a squrt with pliers and a set of small folding sewing scissors separately.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Out of curiosity, what do you find that you need scissors for that you can't do with a blade and a cutting surface (log or whatever)?
    I recently got a Gerber Clutch (chose it over the Squirt because the blade size just isn't useful on the Squirt) and while I like it for what it is, I do wish someone would make a 'magic' super-tool this size and weight that has pliers that will actually handle significant force and a blade made out of something much harder (like S30V). Maybe titanium components? I would pay for it, because every time I go to use any of the tools on my Clutch, I find myself wishing I just had my Charge TTi with me instead. Just too heavy to bring along though.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The discontinued Buck 350 is what I carry. When they discontinued them I bought two extra so I will have one the rest of my life.

I also carry small folding scissors. I do not have enough skill to cut my nails and/or hangnails with a knife.

On a week long trip I expect to use my scissors 2 to 3 times per day, the pliers 2 to 3 times per week. I can not remember the last time I used a knife.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

The leatherman freestyle looks interesting (online and in ads, never seen one in person), full size blade and pliers for 4.5 oz:

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/pocket-tools/freestyle-cx.aspx

I don't really need pliers unless I am fishing or skiing, so usually carry my SAK treker for hiking. I like having the saw for wood for use with the bushbuddy. I do like a locking blade. For scissors, which I don't use much either, I have a pair of tiny, light, folding scissors in my full med kit when I bring that (mostly canoe trips).

So going with pliers + full blade and carrying the scissors separately is another option.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

"Out of curiosity, what do you find that you need scissors for that you can't do with a blade and a cutting surface (log or whatever)?"
    Mostly grooming and cutting circles for patches (rare but can be vital)I have big monkey hands and I find scissors foe precision cutting.

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

http://www.riverbum.com/Dr-Slick-Scissor-Plier-55-Black-SNHC55B/

S/P

Quite lightweight and blade stays sharp. Check out your local fly fishing shop, they should have something like it.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

COOL

darvin s

@darvin

I know this is an older thread, but technology has finally caught up with your wishes.

Behold leathermans new mini tool. Scissors, 1.6" blade (not locking), pliers, file, screwdrivers. The biggest plus in my opinion is that the pliers are spring loaded. Great for one handed tasks. Weighs 1.9 oz.

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=481&f=8&c=1

If you can do without the pliers, leathermans new take on the vic classic is slightly lighter than its swiss counterpart at .81 oz.

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=480&f=8&c=1

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Whoa, thanks for the tip on that new leatherman "style" knife. It's actually a bit heavier than the victorinox classic (my classic sd w/ plastic stayglow scales weighs .7) But this negligible weight penalty is well worth the benefit of the better blade. I'm def grabbing this in the future. Thanks

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Darvin, thanks for posting that! The PS4 is just about exactly what I'm looking for. I do wish there was a version that left out the screwdrivers and included a pair of tweezers, but this is pretty awesome. I was planning on settling for a Squirt P4 in the next couple of weeks, so thanks for cluing us in!

Mike S
    BPL Member

@mikeylxt

Locale: Maryland

Oh i like how the Style CS looks.

Plus the clip on it functions as a bottle opener!!! SOLD

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=479&f=8&c=1

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I know this makes the SUL'ers crazy, but multi-tools in general cross that line. I'm not going out without some basic tools. And that doesn't mean a 9" knife and a buck saw.

I've been able to break out of the "perfect tool" box by combining tools.

I like the Victorinox Trekker knives, but they don't have scissors. A Classic takes care of the problem and gives some "tool redundancy." I carry a Classic on my survival keyring with firesteel, whistle, tinder capsule and LED light. The Classic can be combined with many other knives or multi-tools to add functionality.

Some folk have just taken the scissors out of a Classic or other Swiss Army knife to use. Not a bad idea, and there are lots of TSA-confiscated knives on eBay for cheap.

The other scissor route is to use a small set of Fiskars embroidery or crafts scissors. They are 0.5oz and about 1000x more usable than any scissors packaged in a knife or multi-tool. I got a bunch at a flea market for $2 each. These are excellent for first aid kits too. Add a short piece of tubing for a point cap.

The hemostats-for-pliers is pure genius. The lock too, making a great "third hand" for repairs. Good for shoving a needle through thick layers of cloth too.

I haven't seen tweezers from a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool that were really usable. I want something with really fine tips and a good gripping surface for going after splinters and thorns. I want to be able to apply good pressure, which you just can't do with SAK tweezers; the broad flat surface just doesn't do the trick. The small tick-removal tweezers aren't too bad, but I prefer something like surgical tweezers with sharp textured tips. Still very light weight.

You could pick your favorite knife, add the crafts scissors, the hemostats, and a much better pair of tweezers for less weight and cost— and improved functionality over a multi-tool. It's not a nice little wowee-gee package, but we should be over that allure after getting an UL kit together.

Also, I have a Leatherman Skeletool CX, which is a very well made tool and light for its functionality. Do not try to pry with the insert screwdriver– the holder will pop apart and it is a terror trying to get it back together. If I were out on something like a bike it might be worth the weight for a multi-tool. I use a multi-tool at work all the time, but not on the trail.

robert cargen

@redwun

yes i use the Wave one hand operation it is a very efficient and effective tool. i'm a real man do manly things. got the nickname mcgyver.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools