Topic

Garmin Oregon 500t Promises Hi-Res Topo Mapping Display, Touchscreen, and Integrated 3.2MP Camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Garmin Oregon 500t Promises Hi-Res Topo Mapping Display, Touchscreen, and Integrated 3.2MP Camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I purchased an Oregon 400t November 2008. Since my purchase there have been nine (9) Software Updates starting 8Dec08 (Software Version2.70) and the last one was 30April09 (Software Version 2.97BETA). If this is any indication on what you can expect from the Oregon 500 Series I would think twice before purchasing a device until 90% of the glitches are corrected. It seems to me Garmin’s Quality Control(QC) team is pushed to the limit with the early introduction of the Oregon 400t and is relying on the individuals who purchased these devices to act as "in the field QC department". To keep up the changes of the Oregon 400t check out http://www.gpsfix.net

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I own a Colorado 300 W/ a Scan Ultra II(gold contacts) Disk 4 GB card. For some reason I can load only from the west coast to the Mississippi for the continental U.S maps even though the card has a 2.5 GB more storage available. Explain that one Germin.

I like my Colorado's great antenna in dense forest cover and canyons. My friend's Oregon didn't quite have the antenna capability of my Colorado. I could get signals when he often couldn't. But I wish my GPS had better battery life.

But, alas, the Colorado has been superceded by the Oregon. "Science" marches on.

Eric

Jørgen Taxt Walnum

@jtwalnum

Ken: Are the software updates free and easily avaliable, or do you have to buy them from Garmin?
    As long as there are just software updates coming, I certanly would not worry about it, new updates is a good thing :D
    If on the other hand the updates only come on the newest version, and/ or you have to buy them I totally agree with you.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Jorgen……All updates for the Oregon 400t are free from Garmin and you update them with a Garmin Program called “Updater”. Some of the 9 updates I alluded to were critical to the accuracy of the instrument while others were new additions. Update information is not sent to you either by mail or email.

When you purchase a “new” instrument it is wise to check your GPS for the Software Version to Garmins web site and using the Updater to download the most recent Software Version.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools