Topic

Front Loading UL pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Front Loading UL pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Robert Miller

@procab

I too had a buckle pop. In fact the same pad buckle popped on three consecutive attempts to tension it.

After some tinkering I have been able to replicate the unfastening by slightly loading the male half of the buckle to one side. While holding this position the unloaded opposite side male barb will pop loose if moderately tensioned.

When the buckle is placed in tension squarely (i.e. as designed) it holds more than adequately.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

>>> * New for 06 Zipper Vestibule Closure makes opening and closing the vestibule a snap.
    * New for 06 Single Piece Bathtub Floor makes a more watertight floor. <<< I already have the Lunar Solo-e and I like it. I can deal with the vestibule velco closure without the need to purchase the new version. Hmmm… $245 for new tent or $2.45 for new zipper. No offense intended, but I think that one’s a no brainer. As far as the buckles go, closer scrutiny can also include how you deal with them when used. Although if it were necessary to replace them, I would like to be able to do so without having to re do a large portion of the bag.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

>>”When the buckle is placed in tension squarely (i.e. as designed) it holds more than adequately.”

Robert, Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind

paul johnson

@pj

>>”no brainer.”

Mike, Agreed. My intent was to point out that your idea was a good one and was incorporated in the ’06 model. I too will not be purchasing a new one just because of a zipper.

Robert Miller

@procab

Six Moon Designs, Essence Pack, First Production Run, 1/2006

– The test –

Starting weight including food and water 29 lbs.
    Trailhead 2200 ft, camp 10 miles away at 5664 ft.
    Estimated weight upon arrival at camp 24+ lbs.
    Estimated weight upon departure from camp 16 lbs. (dumped nearly 1 gallon of water)
    Finish weight 11+ lbs.

Initial concerns

I did not experience any buckles popping loose once I started pulling on them squarely. Its disconcerting when they do pop loose and I would recommend SMD consider using a more tolerant design.

The cord lock on the extension collar never slipped in use.

What I like:

– Shoulder straps –

Very well designed. I never had a desire for a sternum strap. Several times I had the straps so loose the pack body was away from my shoulder blades 2″ and they stayed put.

– Hip belt –

Worked well. At one point I had a little chafing caused by a large wrinkle in my base layer. I slipped my fingers beneath the belt and smoothed it out and had no other problems with it.

– Hip pockets –

I fit a cellphone, gps, headlamp, first aid kit, some TP and a box of matches in one pocket! Needless to say they are great. The previously mentioned zipper issue disappeared if the pocket was full and reappeared when less then full.

– Front loading –

The SMD suspension system was made for a front loading pack. It would be a major hassle to strap the pad in to a top loading pack.

– The suspension –

You really have to try it to believe it. Solid and secure. It followed my torsos every move. You can easily loosen the shoulder straps to allow venting of the majority of your back while on the move. Note: I used a GG ThinLight 3/8″ four layers thick.

What I didn’t like:

SMD claims “One Size Fits Torsos 17 to 22 inches.” I have a 21″ torso and this pack is two inches too short for me. Measuring from the bottom of the hip belt to the top attachment point of the shoulder straps yields a dimension of 19″. Loaded I think the hip belt would deflect 1/2″ ~ 1″ further diminising that dimension.

To be fair to SMD let me point out a few of the things that were working to aggravate the situation.

1) the pad I used is 5/8″ shorter than the recommended 20″.
    2) fixed length poles forced me to reach higher (pulling on the straps) when climbing than if they were adjustable length.
    3) In the days before poles you would lean forward to counter a heavier than normal pack but with fixed length poles ones range of posture is limited to a more upright position.
    4) the uphill section also coincided with the heaviest weights carried.

Who is going to like this pack?

Clearly the Essence is aimed directly at mainstream UL hikers.

Those who will be especially attracted to it are those who are looking carry a more weight than the average UL pack will allow.

1) Thru hikers stretching out food drops.
    2) Photographers
    3) Hikers that need to carry lots of water. (For this foray I started with 2 gallons)

Ron, If you ever decide to make a tall version I’m first in line!

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

What are the approximate dimensions of the main pack body (excluding the top lid pocket and “extension collar”)? How tall is the top lid (appears to be 4-5″ tall)?

I’d guess the main pack is only 20″ tall (pad width) and maybe 8″ thick? But I can’t judge the width? 10″? 12″?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Tony, the basic demensions for the pack body is 20″ X 11″ X 9″ for Height, width and depth.

Ron

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Thanks. So, the top lid (more like an external stuff sack), is roughly 4″x11″x9″, correct?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

That’s correct.

Ron

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

What’s the deal with the “Big” side pocket (I believe all SMD packs have one)? I’ve never really understood its need. Bladder?

I’m not saying “its wrong” or “its stupid”, I’m just curious as to its intended purpose.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I carry my shelter in the big side pocket. It can dry a bit in the sun during the day. Your shelter does not get your other gear wet when it is wet. I like to pack my shelter last and set it first thing when I stop for the night.

The side mesh pocket is not good for mountaineering, but for long trail hiking it is wonderful.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

From PJ’s write-up…
    “A second “crab”, for me at least, is the inaccessibility of the pad for use as a sit-pad during the day at rest stops. An external pad pocket would have been my preference. However, having said that, the ease of loading/unloading and the accessibility provide by this front-loader, might (???) cause me to fetch the pad from the inner recesses of the pack for use if the rest stop was to be of an extended nature. I would never do this with a top-loader that didn’t have an ext. pad pocket.”

I have found I take fewer breaks (a bad thing) when I don’t have access to pad. Given the panel load design, and a healthy use of stuff sacks, access the pad in the Essense should be a fairly quick, and painless(?), process compared to rucksack packs. I’ll be interested in seeing how pad access plays out with this pack.

I also think this particular pack lends itself to placing very little inside main body. Which ought to make for unloading/loading it far more easy than a top loader.

Thinking/dreaming out loud…
    * insulation layer, hat, gloves, glasses in top lid
    * rain jacket under flap or side pocket.
    * wind shirt in side pocket (or top lid until I get it all sweaty)
    * lunch in side pocket.
    * fuel in side pocket.
    * TP/gell in side pocket.
    * water in side pocket.
    * compass, map, camera, journal, pen, snacks, AM in hipbelt pockets.

Which leaves, “evening pouch” (headlamp, 1st aid, fire starter, etc.), other food, stove/pot, bag and shelter inside. Or if I go tarp the shelter outside. Either way that’s only 3-4 small-medium SS on the inside on “top” of the pad.

It also seems a bit odd that in Ron’s crazy mind didn’t come up with a means to provide access. Maybe a Essense mets Starlite type thing??

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Tony,

I looked at a lot of ideas for the Essence, including a Starlight style rear pad pocket. While the pad pocket does work, it has significant restriction with regard to pack sizing.

People have already requested taller versions of the Essence along with support for shorter torsos. The short torso version is fairly easy to do and will be taken care of in future versions.

To do a taller version is a bit problematic. While I can stretch the height of the pack, I have no control over the length of the pad.

I’m working on a removable frame sheet for the pack that would replace the use of your pad as structure. This would make using inflatable pads more effective, provide additional load carrying (subject to the limitations of a non-padded hip belt) and provide additional storage.

So much to do so little time!

Ron

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

“I’m working on a removable frame sheet for the pack that would replace the use of your pad as structure”

Not to mention allowing padless hammock campers the ability to use the pack.

Robert Miller

@procab

Ron,

I was anticipating your response of –

To do a taller version is a bit problematic. While I can stretch the height of the pack, I have no control over the length of the pad.

For a closed cell foam pad consider this idea:

potential pad solution

The black lines are cut through. The green and red lines are scored on opposite sides. Folded on the red line first, then the green line will yield a pad 10″ x 23 1/2″. The same folded size can be obtained by Exped short pads when folded in a similar manner. Pacific Outdoors shorts are close enough (48″) that I think they would fit. The ProLite short would require a slightly different folding pattern to accomodate the tapered shape.

Potentially a full length (72″) pad could be folded twice across its length to get a 24″ height.

What do you think?

Robert

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Robert,

That’s an interesting way to cut up a pad. It’d probably work though I’m not sure how many people I could convence to do it.

Also the longer the pad, the more likely it is to start collapsing at a lower pack weight.

Still it’s something to think about.

Thanks,
    Ron

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’m not sure how many people would take to this heavier idea here, but something I do when using an inflatable pad is open the valve, fold the pad in half, put it first into the pack so that it lies along the back, bottom, and (depending on how long the pad is) front of the pack, fill the pack with my gear, and finally blow into the inflatable pad to fill out the pack space and create a rigid pack. Not sure if this idea could be incorporated into the side opening Essence, but with an inflatable pad like the TorsoLite could the pad be folded and blown up into different sizes according to the size of the back panel of the Essence pack? Depending on the volume of air in the inflatable pad the rigidity of the pack could be adjusted accordingly.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I use a blue foam pad. If you fold it to the desired configuration and then put weights on it for a day (Encyclopedia Americana is perfect for this!), it will ‘remember’ its configuration, making future folding a snap! There is no need to cut or score at the folds at all.

paul johnson

@pj

Ben, good tip. I’m going to give that a suggestion a try.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

It does work quite well. I’ve done the same thing with my blue pad (I put mine under the mattress in the guest bedroom) and it actually folds up better than the “scored” GG NightLight torso length pad.

Plus my guests don’t sleep as well so their visits are typically shorter. “Honey, I have no idea why your Mom doesn’t sleep well when she visits.”<g>

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don’t use a foam pad for sleeping caused I don’t sleep without more padding. Yeah, I am a wimp. I can tell you that an air mattress makes a port support in the essense. But I expected that. I figured that an extra few ounces worth of foam still keeps the essense under 1lb so I gave it a try.

As I was playing around with a variety of support options I stumbled onto a good dual use. I use an A16 bug bivy with my tarp. The fiberglass rod in mine is a bit shorter (I broke it and the repaired it.) If I roll the A16 up once rather than the standard twice, my shorted pole is just about the right size for the pad straps. So I have two thin pieces of foam (~1oz) which I put the A16 between and I found that I most comfortable support option for me from both a comfort and weight perspective.

–Mark

Robert Miller

@procab

Here are some pics of the Essence loaded down with 28+ pounds and ready to go:
    view of right side
    view of right side

view of back side
    view of back side

The Office
    The Office. Note the size of the belt pockets!

extension collar cord lock
    Extension collar cord lock after 3 hours on the trail slipped little if any.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Robert:

Thanks for the pics. One question — those hipbelt pockets look like they are removable. Is that correct?

Robert Miller

@procab

Ben,

No, they are integrated into the belt. The shoulder straps are anchored to them too. The look huge but on the trail I never noticed them. It may be a different issue with someone with fuller hips who didn’t use poles.

Robert

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Robert. I was hoping they were removable so I could perhaps order two from Ron, to sew onto my own pack. I really want hipbelt pockets! Oh well.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools