Topic

REI UL Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI UL Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

Just returned from REI trying to exchange these poles. Had problems with locking.

REI doesn't carry the original poles I bought, I guess comperdell redisigned them. I ended up not exchanging since the new ones seem to be longer, and have different handles (the hold that sticks out is smaller, and there is some extra plastic on top of handles). I ended up not exchanging them since after some tweaking I ended making my old poles work.

REI suggested that i only open the locking mechanism just enough to allow the poles to slide, not all the way out. that seems to help to get the grip on the locking mechanism.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

> REI suggested that i only open the locking mechanism just enough to allow the poles to slide, not all the way out. that seems to help to get the grip on the locking mechanism.

Another useful technique is to lengthen a particular pole section to its max setting before trying to engage the locking mechanism. It seems to catch much more easily in this position, and you can then slide it back into the position you want and tighten from there. I would also back up what REI says, which is that you should refrain from completely loosening a section if you want to be able to re-lock it easily. Otherwise I end up having to lengthen the section completely as described above.

Jeffrey Davis

@gallamar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thank you for your recommendations on the Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4s. They sent me a set and I used them last weekend on a 28 mile trek around the Lost Coast of California. These beauties weighed in at a whispy 3.7 ounces a piece! They performed very, very well… my favorite piece of gear by far. Big thumbs up to these sticks!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

That's great to hear they worked out for you. I'm working to save enough money to pick up a pair myself. Once you go to a lighter pole like that, there's no going back. They are such a pleasure to hike with.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools