Topic

Down Fill – From Pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down Fill – From Pillow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

I was wondering if anyone has used any down from a pillow? From a cost perspective, you could save a lot of money.

For example, I was looking at amazon and found a "700 fill" goose pillow (24oz filled) on sale for $70.99 (plus free shipping).

That would make the 700 fill approx. $3/oz.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Usually the feather content is much higher in a pillow/comforter. Picking them out is not a very practical option.
    Franco

Dan Baker
    BPL Member

@heeler

Locale: Victoria, Australia

I too looked at this Rich…

And I have to concur with Franco.

I purchased several for $2 each at a second-hand store and found the feather content to be 70 to down 30…

Apparently these were very expensive pillows too.

Dan.

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

So essentially you are saying, that although a pillow may claim to have a 700 fill, it most likely has a higher feather content, and therefore is not really 700 fill down?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Rich, I'm sure NOBODY here is saying that.

My guess is that what we're/they're/I'm saying is that $71 for 24oz of 700 fill is an excellent price, and if you find that this is what is really in there, we'll all line up for one. That would make a very nice bag.

IF, on the other hand, you find that there's an oz of 700 fill and 23 oz of feathers, We'll/they'll/I'll be chuckling sagely as we say 'If it sounds too good to be true…….'

Of course, on the other hand, a pillow cover from China probably costs 14 cents, and if no one else is buying 700 fill down for their medium bags, why not stick it in a case and sell it as a premium pillow, for less than the cost of the normal price on the down.

What's their return policy like?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

legally they can claim any fill power they want, and usually the processor is the one who makes the claim, (many times the processor is the company brand)

what they do have to legally claim is the amount of down to feather content ratio: on any of your gear there will be a garment tag, with the description of "this product contains at least 90% goose down" or something of that nature.

I saw some pillows as well when someone with good intentions mentioned that Overstock.com was selling them for $20 w/ 700fp. Supposedly 25 ounces of down for $20.

mama always said, if it sounds too good to be true..

http://www.sevenwondersdown.com

Rich Hastings

@hottrod33

What kind of fill ratings do you think old army bags have?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools