Topic

West Coast Trail Gear Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion West Coast Trail Gear Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

I recommend a light GoreTex boot with shorty gaitors made of Schoeller type soft-shell fabric. You just need to keep the mud (or watery mud) out of the boot-tops. Some people (very few) do use running shoes, I guess it all depends on how close to the earth you want to get and whether you can stand putting on cold wet muddy runners in the morning :))

David Ure

@familyguy

As far as the shortie gaiters are concerned – consider those made of eVent. Far superior to anything else with respect to being both waterproof and breathable.

I used Montrail Hardrocks (gortex) the whole trip and they remained completely dry. The soles were super sticky on the wet wood.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    David Ure

@familyguy

Those should be just fine. Note that you put them on prior to putting your shoe on. Not a big issue. The good thing is that prevents water from inadvertently leaking in through a zipper or velcro. They will not be breathable, however. But for $6…..

The Integral Designs eVent shortie gaiters are about $25 I think.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Good to know about putting them on before the shoe. The way they are shown in the diagram does look like it would be hard on the undershoe strap.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I did the North Coast Trail last year in Mid/late May. It's the newest long distance trail on the Island. 90Km in length, it's very cool. Very similar to the WCT but a lot less crowded and more remote.

There were hardly any bugs. I did not need any bug spray.

We lucked out on weather but had both pack cover and pack liners. I was conservative and also brought a synthetic bag. Mtn. Harwear has a good lightweight synthetic bag: the ultralamina if you want to go that route. It is affordable. My friend used a very light down bag. But again we lucked out on weather.

Gaiters or rubber boots are essential. Especially if it rains….and it usually does. I used a short gaiter from Black Diamond, my pant legs were caked with mud about 30 cm above the top of the gaiter the whole trip. My friend had a full gaiter from MEC and was drier. I used a goretex ASOLO boot. I usually hike with mesh trail running shoes. The long stetches of pebble beach, boulder beaches, mud slogs and very rugged trail conditions made me glad I did. I rarely feel that way.

We shared a small 2 person tent and brought an 8×10 Integral Design sil tarp to provide extra weather protection and cooking space in case of rain. With all the driftwood and trees plus our trekking poles we were able to create very effective shelters every night.

I'm not sure about the WCT regulations but BC Parks lets you make driftwood fires on the beaches on the NCT, so we cooked on fires almost every night and morning which allowed us to keep fuel weight very low. Tides clears out the ashes twice a day so it's fairly benign and the wood supply is endless.

Lots of black bears, we carried pepper spray. had a couple close encounters but no aggressive bears, just thick salal and bears hungry for berries that mostly ignored us.

have a great trip.

David Ure

@familyguy

Dan – the understrap is durable because it goes between the forefront of the shoe and the heel. I have never worn mine down. Because it is shockcord, you could always bring extra if that was a concern.

NCT – awesome – on my life list.

Yes to fires on the WCT beach.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

How does one get back to their car at the start of the WCT once finished? Is there a bus? Or do you need 2 cars so you can leave one at each end?

Also, is there a bus from the ferry to the WCT? I'd rather not pay $60 x 2 to get my across and back unless necessary.

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

book with the convenient West Coast Trail Express bus. (If you book a return fare, this company will store your excess luggage until you finish the hike.)

public transport is also available between the two trailheads by van, and sometimes by tour boat

from http://www.besthike.com/northamerica/canada_west_coast/west_coast_trail.html

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

for a group of 5….how many of the following do we need to bring:

1. Stoves
    2. Pots
    3. Water Purifiers
    4. First Aid Kits

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Hmm….the WCT Express Bus is awfully expensive. It's about $135 for a round trip from the ferry. This whole trip is sounding expensive:

For 1 person:
    – reservation fee = $25 (not required in late Sept.)
    – camping fee = $140
    – WCT Express Bus = $135
    – Ferry = $13.50 x 2
    Total: $327

And that doesn't include food or gear….

I think my wife and I are best off to take our motorcycles and leave one at the other end. It would be cramped to ride two up with our packs to the other trailhead but much cheaper. By doing it in late Sept on our bikes it would cost:

– Reservation Fee = 0
    – Camping Fee = $140
    – Ferry: $22.50 x 2 = $45
    – Gas: $10
    Total: $195 ($132 saved)

That's better but still a lot. The JDF and NCT are starting to look a bit more appealing. Anyone know the camping fees for these? The reason I prefer the WCT (aside from being famous) is the length sounds good for a 1 week trip with my wife. The JDF sounds short for a 1 week trip (45kms?) and the NCT might be too long (90kms??). I don't want to wear her out or she won't come again.

David Ure

@familyguy

The road to Bamfield (Pachena) sucks. It is 150km of pot ridden logging road. Personally, I would take the bus. I thought the NCT was only 47KM, but I could be wrong. The logistics to that area is worse and will require a boat ride.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I think the trail itself is only 47 k but I combined it with some time/hiking on cape Scott.. maybe it wa smore like 60. The roads are quite crappy and the boat in is subject to weather. Good shuttle service available back from trailhead however.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes! Aren't the roads bad! The potholes can swallow whole sub compacts.

Tim Quirk

@chicagoblue

I know this thread has been dead for a little while, but I figured it would be better to bring this one back than to start a new one.

I'm getting ready for a 6-7 day trip on the WCT in mid September and was hoping to get a little advice on my pack list. I had a few things going in, and have purchased a few more things, but still have a few areas that I'll be filling in, and am hoping this community can help me out with that.

So, what I've already got:

Pack – Kelty Coyote 4500 ~5lbs
    Tent – Kelty Gunnison 2.1 ~5lbs
    Sleeping Bag – Alps Mountaineering Slick Rock 20F ~3lbs
    First Aid Kit 1lb
    Primus Stove and Head Lamp ~llb
    Jacket – Outdoor Research Mentor 16.8oz
    Outdoor Research Drycomp Compression Sack ~12oz

None of my stuff is ultra light, but I've gone as light as I can reasonably afford.

The things I'm still looking to pick up:

Trecking Poles – Do I need 1 or 2? Do I want ones with the pointed tip or with a rounder rubberized tip?

Mattress – I'm thinking of going with the Neo Air. Anybody used this mattress in a similar environment? Anything else a better option?

Gators – I'm thinking of going with something like the Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters (http://www.rei.com/product/721672)

Boots – I'm probably going to go with an Asolo boot, either Asolo FSN 95, Asolo FUGITIVE, or ASOLO POWER MATIC 300. Any thoughts and which would be best are appreciated. I've seen lots of reviews of the FSN 95 and the Fugitive, but I think the Power Matic 300 may be a newer boot.

Rain Pants – Something like the Marmot PreCip

Umbrella – Something light and strong

I'm hoping to keep my load well under 30 pounds, and with a group of 4 I think that should be easy enough. Is there anything critical that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

David Ure

@familyguy

Once you add food and 1-2L of water I think you will have a tough time keeping your pack weight under 30 pounds but I could be wrong. To your specific questions:

Treking Poles – Take two. On the beach and the tidal shelf, two are key to strong stroke. In the muddy sections where you might hold onto a branch or something, one is ideal – just attach the second one through your compression straps.

Mattress – I used a NeoAir this past May on the WCT and it worked fine. Suitably warm.

Gators – I would go for a shorty gaiter – no need for knee high ones. Just trying to keep the sand and mud out of your boots / shoes.

Boots – My hiking buddy used the Fugitives without issue. I prefer a trail runner, however and had good results with Montrail Hardrocks.

Rain Pants – Something like the Marmot PreCip – yes, should be just fine.

Umbrella – Something light and strong- no need if you have a decent rain jacket. Unless it is raining and you want to cook underneath it but frankly, I would bring a smallish tarp for that.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Tim,

You might wanna leave some stuff behind to save weight. For example:

– a 1 lbs first aid kit seems excessive
    – a 12oz compression sack is heavy. Leave it behind

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I'm still debating between the WCT and JDF trails for this fall. What I like about the JDF trail is:

– We can take our dog (my wife really wants this)
    – No reservation fees (how much are camping fees?)
    – Doesn't close in September

What I'm unsure about is how wise it will be to do the JDF trail in mid-late October. My work is closed in late October so I wouldn't need to take time off if I go then.

Do you think the third week of October is likely to be too cold though? My setup is an Ultra 20, NeoAir and MSR Carbon Reflex 2 tent. Is there anything else about October I should know? Rainy? Windy?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Mike,

Thanks a LOT for your advice. I really appreciate it. It sounds like this will work out well (barring non-stop rain). I will keep those camp site recommendations in mind as I continue to research this.

My work is closed for 5 weeks starting mid-October (I work in Whistler) so I will allot enough time to make this trip an enjoyable pace for my wife. She hasn't done anything longer than 20kms so I've got to make sure this is a good experience for her.

Tim Quirk

@chicagoblue

I'm bringing the compression bag because it's waterproof and my backpack is not, thought I do plan to pick up a pack cover.

The first aid kit isn't particularly large physically and as this will be my first trip in awhile I'd feel remiss to leave it behind.

As to the trecking poles, I'm still not sure which kind I want. Can anyone point me to a good set?

I was going to take the umbrella because I'd read several trip reports that highly recommended it.

A couple other things.

1. Do people typically stop to cook lunch on the trail, or is lunch more of a energy bars and snacks affair?

2. Will the footprint for my tent or a simple tarp be a better option?

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

f you are resolute on making this trip happen then you will enjoy yourself regardless. If you are open to advice, I offer mine.
    Mike C will tell you sooner than me that a trash compactor bag is a light, waterproof solution for waterproofing the entire contents of your pack, and cheap. Leave the pack cover at home/ or do not buy.
    If you have money to spend on boots/a sleeping pad etc. I would argue to change what you are looking at.
    I own the powermatics; I like them when I am going to be doing a lot of cross country day hiking and places with very unstable ground. I can't recommend them for a backpacking trip. They are also over $200 so a really big investment.
    The neoair is a great pad but also expensive at over $100.

If I were in your shoes and knew what I knew now, and what I had, I would spend my money differently. I would look to buying a lighter shelter on the cheap. A tarp and bug net are light and easy to deal with.
    This equinox tarp offers a ton of coverage at a low weight. You could combine it with granite gears the haven for a large, ventilated, bug free dry zone. Also you would save about 3 pounds of weight.

If you can get your pack under 30 pounds fully loaded you should be able to use trail runners, unless of course you have pre-existing ankle problems. They are lighter, more comfortable, and cheaper than the heavy boots.
    While not as light or new as the neoair the big agnes insulated air core, or poe ether thermo 6 are also great, comfortable, relatively light and more affordable alternatives often found on sale.
    As for trekking poles, you can find some amazing poles in the over $100 range from gossamer gear or tigoat. If you are looking to spend less though you can get decently light pairs from rei outlet for around $50.
    As for cooking lunch on the trail, it depends on the group and people, there is no right or wrong way to do it. I will say however, if you are planning on using a stove at lunch a white gas stove will take more time and effort to prime and prep, maybe often leading to it not being used at all!
    As for the first aid kit, if it makes you more comfortable than bring it. Having the knowledge to use its contents is the least you owe yourself though if you are going to be carrying it on your back for miles. You may find that its contents are redundant and you could get away with some band aids, ibuprofen, Benadryl, and leukotape.

The golite reed pants are the standard round these parts for rain bottoms.
    If you are going to have an umbrella you should be able to leave the rain jacket at home and instead bring a wind jacket, much lighter, and more flexible for most situations.

If four people are going you should be able to split up gear among all of you. You don't each need your own tent/stove/first aid kit/etc. This advice comes from not just me but the countless others who have learned what I have. The lighter you can make your pack the more enjoyable your hiking will be. You should not sacrifice anything in terms of comfort by making these changes.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Tim,

At 12oz your compression bag is an awfully heavy solution for waterproofing. As mentioned a garbage bag will work for about 90% less weight. If you really want a waterproof sack, MEC has some new really light dry sacks for cheap. I bought my 7L dry sack for $8 and it weighs 1.4oz. Since the roll top is most of the weight you could likely get a larger sized one (I use a small quilt) for around 2oz and $12.

For the trekking poles, borrow some from MEC. They lend these out for trips. I'm not sure if it costs anything or not, but it'll be way cheaper than buying. Divert your hard earned funds elsewhere unless you are sure you want to buy them because you'll be using them a lot in the future.

Umbrella? If your rain jacket has a hood (or if you have a rain hat) I wouldn't bother. I've never used one but they seem unncessary if you have a rain jacket and you can't use your trekking poles. It also just seems like a hassle to hold.

Regarding lunch, I typically cook a hot lunch. Usually it's a few Sidekicks that I can make in 10 min or so. I don't use dehydrated food because it's too slow for a meal on the trail. Snack bars work good too….kinda depends what pace you are on. Make sure your cook gear is handy if you are cooking.

The footprint for your tent is likely the better choice since it will fit better, secure in place easier and likely be lighter than a tarp unless you are buying a nice tarp. Don't bring a heavy blue/orange tarp from the hardware store. If your tent is in good shape you may not need the footprint.

As a general recommendation, don't buy crappy gear. If you don't have enough money for everything then don't buy everything. Just buy one or two good items and make sure you do your research so you don't find something way better in 2 months. As suggested, a lightweight shelter is a good spot to start.

Probably the most important thing for you is not to bring stuff you don't need. Yesterday I found a copy of my gear list from about 6 months ago (I'm pretty new to this too) and my gear weighed 16lbs. Today it weighs 11.3lbs and I've only shaved off about 2-3lbs with new gear. The other 2-3lbs is just stuff I've left behind. Bring one pot, no spare clothes but socks, underwear, rain gear and insulating jacket. Don't bring 2 pots. Don't bring a bowl (eat from pot), Don't bring a knife (these can be really heavy) etc.

When you think about each item individually then it's easy to think 'oh yeah this is worth the little bit of extra weight', but when that kind of decision is multiplied across all your gear you wind up with a heavy pack.

One good (cheap) spot to save some weight is with your water bottles. 1L nalgene bottles weight about 170g (6oz) and you can get 1L platypus 'platybottles' that weigh under 1oz and cost about $6. If you replace two 1L nalgenes you'll have saved 2/3 of a pound.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Tim,

If you are going to spend some money, the MEC Merlin -3 C bag is a great way to go. You can replace that 3lbs bag with one that weighs just 1.5lbs (690g, 24oz) and compresses way smaller. It's a sweet deal at $220.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools