Topic

Panama Rain forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Panama Rain forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

I've got a freind that's going to panama for her graduation. She will be hiking 15 – 20 mile days and she is hardly a hiker. Is there any info or advice I can give her to help her have a better time, she will be there for 19 days! I can tell you her temperment is not that of a long distance hiker, or we really don't know how she'll fare but I'm hoping she can get some advice that will help her out. I may send her a link to this if some good info turns up. Thanks! She'll not have to carry tent or cooking systems.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I went to Panama earlier this year, however I did not do much hiking. My only worthwhile advice to offer is to be careful of the area you are hiking in. If she is proposing to hike in the south near the Colombian border in the Darien jungle, it would be worthwhile to consider going with a reputable guide. There are still FARC and other paramilitary guerrillas in the area. Do your homework first and she shouldn't forget that she is the only one that is going to be looking out for her own security.

There are some great trails and national parks in the north near the tourist town of Boqette.

I highly recommend the seafood restaurant above the seafood market in Panama City. Delicious Chiviche! Ifish market hope she has a great trip.Miraflores locks

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Having lived in Panama as a child and gone thru some military training there it seems to me 15 to 20 mile days are gonna be pretty rough unless she is gonna stick to the roads.

There is some serious jungle in Panama, absolutely beautiful but some serious jungle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools