Topic

KEN KNIGHT IS MISSING ON APPALACHIAN TRAIL IN VA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info KEN KNIGHT IS MISSING ON APPALACHIAN TRAIL IN VA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Posted at equipped.org

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Posted to my blog, which auto-publishes to my Facebook account.

Chris Maltese

@wolftracker

Locale: Boynton Beach, FL

Posted at bladeforums on Wilderness and Survival Skills forum.

Sending up smoke and prayers for a safe and speedy return.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Ryan I wrote Leonard Adkins an email. He suggested contacting the Natural Bridge Appalachian Trail Club. http://www.nbatc.org/ Does anyone know if they have been contacted?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I went through this a few weeks ago when a mate went missing in Alaska, took a wrong turn in a whiteout. What saved him , and I hope will be the same with Ken, was the experience accumulated over many years in the outdoors.
    Franco

James Walke

@jaywalke2

Unfortunately, it won't do much good to contact them until we have a location for the call-out. I'm planning on going, and I can get the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club moving, which is a bunch of strong hikers who know the trail like their own back yards, but without a location we are all just waiting with a thumb up . . .

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

First of all, thank you everyone for your patience, consideration, and information. I'm in awe at the amount of information that we've received, consolidated, and have been able to pass along to VA SAR.

Second, the ATC has been notified and their information officer will likely be the liaison to the individual trail clubs. If trail clubs would like to help, they should call ATC.

Third, a statewide VA SAR callout has been issued. There are going to be a very large number of searchers on the ground by morning. This is a huge, complex search encompassing an area of more than 300 square miles for the initial search focus. It's heavily wooded, steep, and almost futile to scan from the air. Spend some time in Google Earth and you'll appreciate what these guys are up against.

Today, NPS, along with some private parties, were the first on the ground to do a preliminary trail sweep. This was vital to making sure nobody was missing anything obvious. Tonight large search parties are being organized, and in the morning, a massive search begins in earnest.

We've had the opportunity to work with the VA SAR tracking team and we hope to God Ken is wearing his Inov-8's because they have one of the most unique sole patterns found anywhere…

SAR Trackers are on the ground TONIGHT working the area before it gets too contaminated. This is a key reason why the search must be organized and directed by VA SAR. Tracking and K9's may be really important in this type of search, and minimizing contamination of the area early is key.

In addition, our friends in Ann Arbor were able to go into Ken's house this evening and secure laundry items that will be delivered to VA SAR tomorrow evening for the K9 search teams. We were unable to make the last flight out of Detroit that could have gotten the items into Amhurst early tomorrow, so they are being driven across the country and delivered by hand.

I have been flooded with emails from people offering support and have a willingness to help with the search. I'm humbled, and thankful for that.

However, it's really important at this point to let VA SAR take the reigns and do what they are trained to do. VA SAR is somewhat unique in that it's one of the few states in the nation where statewide SAR teams can be mobilized quickly and consistently. They have good infrastructure, good support, and a lot of people.

Adding more people to the mix *right now* who are not VA SAR trained is probably going to slow things down rather than help. The next 24-48 hours are extremely critical and SAR operations must happen as efficiently as possible.

However, stay alert. If this search winds down and Amhurst County starts pulling back resources, then that might be the right time to jump in. I've been involved in that situation before, having served on SAR teams in both WA and MT, and all I can say is that Ken is resourceful enough to survive out there for a pretty long time. Not finding Ken is not an option for me.

Finally, please don't stop distributing this information. My hope is that somehow, somewhere, we can find somebody who ran into Ken since Sunday morning so that we can update is last known location and make this search area smaller. 300 square miles of steep woods out there is a crazy big area to start on.

Again, thanks for your patience, and prayers.

Stay tuned,
    Ryan Jordan
    President/CEO
    Backpacking Light

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Ryan, you rock.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Thanks for the update.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Thanks for the update Ryan. The SAR operation sounds much as I figured it would be, based on past experience. I know even though many are willing to help in these cases that too many people looking can definitely create more difficulty in the early stages of a search.

I will be praying he is found quickly, and in good condition.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=10284936

As pulled from the station's Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/WDBJ7

Also, if you're using Twitter, search for "Ken Knight" and then save the search. Twitter will then pull up real-time results of your search every time you go to it.

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

No matter what our individual politics and beliefs, it is so awe-inspiring to see the caring and efforts of the PEOPLE of the USA: No matter by prayers or actual showing up and sweating.

Our people ROCK!

(No offense meant to you readers outside of the US, many of whom also are showing support.)

Rosaleen

Ellen Zaslaw
    BPL Member

@ezaslaw

I'm as anxious as everybody else: Ken is at the forefront of my thoughts. He's so tough and so vulnerable at the same time. I'm immensely grateful for the highly organized and professional search that is under way, and for the efficient dissemination of information. I'm grateful too thinking of Ken's intelligence and backcountry skills.

I can't imagine I'm a useful contact, having last hiked with Ken several years ago. Many, many people know him better. But I know him enough to feel a real personal involvement in this–and oh how I ache for his family, whom I almost feel I know, I've seen and heard so much of them in Ken's journals. I'll be following this closely.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I have been sending out the good vibes. Not knowing the man first hand and only through the tellings of you guys I am holding high hopes. If he found his way off trail by accident it certainly seems like he knows what to do as far as waiting to be found.

Jocelyn Dawn

@jocelyndawn

Locale: BuenaVista, Glasgow

I posted this alert on the forums of the Roanoke Outdoor and Social Club… we're a more diverse group than the local AT clubs, but there are over a dozen strong hikers/backpackers in the club who are out on the trails every weekend. If someone's available to help, they'll use the contact info provided.

I also alerted my 'peeps' via MySpace – I live in the immediate alert area so I know people who know people, y'know?

Also – to all the family and friends who are waiting for Ken, there's… well, not exactly *good* news, but certainly one less thing to worry about – I live on the opposite side of Three Sisters Knobs from the Punchbowl shelter and I can tell you the weather's been really mild here all week. It's been a little on the chilly side overnight and the days are a mite damp/overcast but even the temps up in the mountains have stayed well within comfortable ranges for Ken's attire.

Mark Myers

@n4kss

Hello, I live about 11 air miles from where Ken was last seen.
    I am a life member of the Natural Bridge Appalachian Trail Club.
    I am also a VA SAR resource along with Rob who posted earlier.
    I will be leaving shortly to go to a planning session tonight for planning out tomorrows search efforts. Be assured skilled searchers are out there now and all night long tonight. I was wondering if there are any well known areas that people commonly leave the trail for mail, groceries, food, lodging, bus etc and if any of them are in this area. I live near Snowden where 130 and the parkway cross.
    Mark
    Twitter @idrankwhat

Jocelyn Dawn

@jocelyndawn

Locale: BuenaVista, Glasgow

Quite a few through-hikers leave the trail where it crosses RT.501 and head into Glasgow for groceries and lodging; there are a couple of small grocery stores, and a family owned restaurant/motel (if they're still in open). There used to be Greyhound service through there but I don't believe there's a pick-up there any more.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I was on the search last night and all day today. Here is a very general update – I don't have specifics on clues, etc.

It is a very robust SAR operation with at least 150 people there and over 35 teams went on over 50 separate search missions today. I met teams from as far as Maryland. Teams include multiple dogs teams , horses, ATV's, MTB's and many foot teams.

Even the commo set up has a radio relay airplane on station overhead almost all day long- necessary due to the many areas between mtns and narrow drainages.

The area is large and the terrian is challenging. Weather has been very good in this area for most all week.

Brenda T,

@brenda

Greg, I hope for everyone who loves him they find your brother OK and please try to remain positive. Maybe he only slipped somewhere and dropped that phone! It is wet and the ground slippery. If so and he dropped it when he slip down something and cannot find it, I bet he's sitting by a brook (they're everywhere with all the rain), waiting for the calvary…and very unhappy his phone is missing :>)

It's on local news stations, so you'll be receiving local volunteers familiar with the area as well as the professionals/law enforcement. They will find your brother.

peter goddard

@mr-grumpy

We met Ken last year when he came across the pond to take part in The Great Outdoors Challenge. He is due to be with us again this year, the event starts next Friday (8th May) so we are all hoping the search is successful and you can get him posted across to us express so he can join us again. We'll keep watching this site for up to date information and we will be wishing you well in your endeavors.

Ryan Knowles

@saintirish

I live in Lynchburg and would possibly be able to help out in the search some this weekend. How do I find someone who could direct me to specific areas that would be good to search, if indeed they are asking for people to help at all (I assume the more people searching the better his chances)??

Stephen White

@littlenice

I send all of my love, support, and prayers to Ken and his family. I, just like every other person on here, really hopes Ken is okay, and that he'll be found very soon.

Much peace, love, and respect to Ken and all of you awesome SAR team members. Bring 'em home boys! Can't wait to here his amazing story about this one :)

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Ryan Knowles,

The command post for the search has been set up at Otter Creek Campground at Milepost 60.8 on the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. You could go there and be directed on how to help.

Mike Maurer

DJ Muller

@rogue

Locale: Southern Oregon

Though I don't know Ken, the outpouring of goodwill is amazing. Know there are people in Oregon holding Ken in our thoughts and prayers. To the Searchers~Godspeed To Ken I can't wait to read about your adventure when they find you, because find you they will.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools