Topic

Looking for sleeping bag advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking for sleeping bag advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Kremers

@dkremers

Really looking for what rating to get. I live in the central california so most of my trips will be in the sierras. I'm just starting out on this backpacking deal and aquiring gear…got my first box of tid bits today and am pretty stoked.

I do have one trip planned and thats what i'm getting the gear for. I'm going to hike a section of the PCT in oregon (three sisters area) from north to south with my sister before she heads off to the peace core. We'll be going mid august and was wondering what sleeping bag the community would recommend. also i plan on using it later on but i'll primarily fair weather, 3 seasons hiker around my area and occassionally in central/eastern oregon when i'm visiting family.

any other suggestions on gear would be helpfull. I plan on getting an Exos 58 and a Gregory Z55 and whichever fits better i'll stick with.

I've almost decided on the new Therma-neo-air pad but i don't know if i want to spend the 180 (i'm 6'4 240#'s) on the large size pad.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

It sounds like you would do fine with a 32-40 degree bag for most your 3 season hiking in the sierras and the PCT in Oregon-but its really a personal issue on how warm of a sleeper you are, metabolism, etc. If you go with a 40 degree bag pair it with an UL insulated jacket like the MOntbell UL Down Inner, BPL Coccon. Then you will have more versitility within your sleep system and a camp jacket for those colder mornings and evenings!
    There are many lighter and more affordable packs out there to chose from. Check out the Mariposa by Gossamer Gear (3600ci, $125, 22,3 oz)Golite Jam 2 (3100ci,$124.95, 1 1b 10oz) Golite Pinnacle (4400ci, $119.98 on sale @ Prolite, 2lb. All numbers represent size M, and you will probably need a large so the weights will be slightly higher.
    Good Luck, Have Fun, Travel Lite!

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I followed the advice last year that says "get a bag rated for 10 degrees lower than the lowest temps you think you'll see." For me, camping in the North Sierras, that was a 20 degree bag. It turns out, I'm a warm sleeper, an I ended up roasting all of my trips, even in the upper 30s. This year, I'm going with a 32 degree bag. Sure maybe on an early or late trip it could hit 25, but in that case I'll have a light down jacket with me for insulation, and I think that hould be enough to boost the bag in the even the temps get a little colder, plus it's dual use. It all depends on how warm/cold you sleep.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I followed the advice last year that says "get a bag rated for 10 degrees lower than the
    > lowest temps you think you'll see."
    I think that advice derives from the way some American sleeping bag manufacturers used to rate their bags. There were lies, dam*n lies, and indictable fraud.

Bags rated using the new European standard are more reliable in their ratings.

Cheers

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Daniel,

I have hiked the Sierra for many years. Unless I know for sure that it is going to be hot I carry a 20 F bag there. I have been surprised by waking up to ice many times in the middle of winter. I have seen it get into the teens in September.

I am heading for Yosemite in three weeks and will be bringing a SS Downhugger #1 (20 F). In June I will start using a GoLite Ultra 20 quilt.

I guess I should say that I am usually at pretty high elevations. The lower areas do not get as wild swings. And looking at my hiking log, last summer was the warmest I have ever seen. I used my Phantom 32 more last summer than the previous three years combined.

I have been using an Exos 58 all spring and really like it so far. It has a ton of space. I will have a bear canister in it this weekend.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools