Topic

My UL Frenzy: Twenty-Five Weekends of Backpacking in the White Mountains and Beyond

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable My UL Frenzy: Twenty-Five Weekends of Backpacking in the White Mountains and Beyond

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Regarding the calls for a "hiking license" to cover SAR costs…

As I recall Colorado has something called a CORSAR card. It isn't really "SAR insurance" per se, since the Colorado sherriffs' office can't bill for SAR, but the implication is that you will be looked upon in a better light if you have one. Considering the recent MISGUIDED calls from the general public about billing people for SAR costs this seems like a cheap way to demonstrate your sense of personal responability if such nonsense finds more proponents.

EDIT-
    Yeah, I just Googled this thing. The money from the cards ($3/year, $12/5years) goes into a statewide fund that is used to reimburse the sherriffs' offices for their SAR expenses. (Otherwise it just comes out of their budget.) Any money left over at the end of the year is budgeted to equipment purchases and training courses for the SAR teams.
    The fund also gets money from fishing and hunting licenses, ORV registrations, etc.
    And, of course, you will still be billed for your medical care at the hospital they take you to.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

I'm chomping at the bit to hike the Whites myself, but waiting for "Spring" to arrive is maddening. It's May already and it seems like I'll have to wait until June before I can stop carrying microspikes, crampons, and snowshoes on every hike over 3000 feet.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I agree Philip, my wife and I headed north two weekends ago and everything was monorail with 5-6 foot post holes off to the sides. Took us 5 hours to do 6 miles! Plain old misery….

Great article Jim, I def want to be you when I grow up :)

James Gealy

@surnailz

Locale: White Mountains

After reading BPL for almost two and a half years, I figured it was time to make my first post!

Anywho, for someone who is dreaming of shedding the plastic boots and crampons for the Limmers (yes, Limmers) I can say that this was a timely and welcomed article. If I can get myself out for not even half of the weekends you did Jim, I'll be happy!

As an aside, it looks like a couple of the BPL members live in Mass and hike in the Whites. It's good to know ultralight can be done up here as I'm moving that way as my budget allows. I'm interested to know just how many BPL members live in northern New England, and how many of those few live in NH.

Thanks again for the article and also to BPL for publishing it!

-jim

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

hey James,
    Congrats on your first post! I live in MA and have been going UL in the Whites for a several years now. It certainly can be done and in fact gives a certain factor of safety that I never had when I carried heavier loads. Considering in the Whites you are never very far from a road, quick escapes when the weather rolls in is somthing people with "Expedition" sized packs cannot do. While the 20-30 mile days our west coast BPL peeps can acheive are alittle less enjoyable (but possible) out this way, 15+ mile days are now the norm for me (somthing I was never able to do with a larger pack).

Considering you are starting up UL hiking you really do not have to spend alot of money to get up and going. Just changing your shelter setup to a tarp/bivy will shave alot of weight off and does not have to empty your wallet.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I don't live there anymore, but I'll be heading to NH at the end of May for a UL trip. This article reminded me of why traveling back to NH to go backpacking is worth the effort (and expense).

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

Cool! It's April 2009–what's on tap for this year? Was if fun and worth it?

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

I think at some point the New England BPL people need to plan a meet up hike. Go figure that the friendly West Coasters have already accomplished this, while us curmudgeonly New Englanders have yet to thaw out our grumpy winter faces!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

I agree Angela. This is what Jim and I did for our Pemi trip and it worked out very well and lead to several fun trips.

James Gealy

@surnailz

Locale: White Mountains

I know I could really benefit from hiking with others of the lightweight mindset. Most of my hiking friends think I'm either nuts or … more nuts. I would be willing to meet up for a day or overnight this summer though. I think it would be a good time.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Sounds like a tentative plan then!

Let's give the Whites a chance to thaw out and then I will toss a thread out there and see what happens.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Thanks for all the comments,
    Welcome aboard James, keep Jonathan in mind for future hikes, real great hiking companion. Saw very few carrying UL packs and gear up north over the past few years, now's your time to get this started.

@ Kevin
    Was great Kevin! something that an ultra runner could appreciate. 09 has started with trail running, companion is a hyper English Setter and exploring the hills of the SE. The start button for non stop weekends is about to go off very shortly.

Jim

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Jim,

You do not say, but I presume in your hiking frenzy you did bag all of the White Mtn 4000 foot peaks.

Since you seem to be goal oriented, and pushing hard … I suppose the next thing we'll hear about is a White Mountain 48 in each of the four seasons of a single 12-month year? I'll bet *that* would be a record (fwiw).

:))
    — MV

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Bob,
    Never kept track of bagging 4K peaks while in the NE, think I have done most, was more interested in just being outside and enjoying that area.

Live in the southeast now, Smokies are the "New Whites" for this season's rampage, starting shortly. Stay tuned!

Brian Doble
    BPL Member

@brian79

Going light in the Whites certainly isn't the norm, especially during the winter. You wouldn't believe the looks Jim and I got from other hikers! It was the shoes, and possibly the tights.

Jim taught me a lot about UL winter hiking in the Whites. For example, always have the latest weather forecast, up to the moment you get into your car, no matter what. Canister stoves work perfectly in freezing temps. Plastic bags make great base layer socks. You can run a stove all night, and as long as your shelter is adequately ventilated, you will…um…

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Brian, great too hear from you.

You also taught me how to be a tough guy in sub zero conditions and wear trail runners in the Whites in March without losing any toes, it is possible people!

Good luck on the PCT & hoping you crush the current Long Trail unsupported record when your finished out west

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>I suppose the next thing we'll hear about is a White Mountain 48 in each of the four seasons of a single 12-month year? I'll bet *that* would be a record (fwiw).

Wouldn't surprise me if this was done years ago by Guy Waterman…

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Guessing Guy Waterman did this as well. Sue "Stinky Feet" Johnson did every 4K peak in every month back in 2003. That must have been pretty solid training for her ultra-marathons. Not sure if she won the Hardrock that year..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools