Topic

Father/son getting started

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Father/son getting started

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Given the current Golite discounts, I think I'll risk getting my 11 yo son either a women's small Jam2 (2450) or Pinnacle (3500). I'm thinking it will still be a while before he outgrows it so perhaps the Pinnacle would be more flexible?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Pinnacle is pretty giant. You can definitely get a lot more in there than he should be carrying at his age. I use mine for winter, with a lot of bulky, but lightweight clothes.

Patrick Starich
    BPL Member

@pjstarich

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains

The Pinnacle will have a bit more room for troop/patrol gear and food and probably a bit of growing room. Make sure your son tries it on with about 20 lbs of weight in it and check the waist belt to ensure it fits snugly. That's why a women's model often fits a small boy better than a men's model. (BTW: don't tell him it's a women's pack and get the gray one.)

Just because a scout is a little chubby doesn't mean he can carry more. For chubby boys try estimating an average weight for their height from a chart rather than using their actual weight to estimate max load. Best of luck.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Joe,
    I agree he wouldn't and shouldn't be using all that space for several years. However, also note the women's versions are significantly smaller in volume for same torso size (M). I'm assuming the women's must not have the extension collar that accounts for the 700 in^3 difference.

I like the fact this pack should grow with him. Plus, when he does outgrow it, it should fit my wife if needed. She's 17.5 so the small should still work for her.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools