Topic

Katadyn Mini water filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katadyn Mini water filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Justin Shealey

@jshealey

Locale: Georgia

Does anyone have any experience with the Katadyn Mini filter? I'm currently using the pro but would love to save some weight.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I do [raises hand].

Pros: smallest, lightest pump, field cleanable, simple, sturdy
    Cons: slow, hard to pump, uh slow, must be field cleaned often

Justin Shealey

@jshealey

Thanks Chris!

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Justin,

The specs on the mini don't seem to justify saving 2-3 oz vs. the Hiker Pro. Notice that the Mini seems to only be appropriate for day hikes.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> Notice that the Mini seems to only be appropriate for day hikes.

Why would you say that, James?

I consider the mini to be much more appropriate for a long hike than the pro, because (a) it is rated for 10 times the water volume (even though it may take 100x as long to pump!) and (b) most importantly, it is field cleanable (which the pro is not)

I'd say it is better for day hikes than the pro, because you could carry it in a pocket, if you weren't toting a pack.

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Ditto. Way too slow.
    Still waiting for a field serviceable, light, efficient pump filter system.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Chris,
    I was just quoting the info on the Katadyn website which states "ideal for travel, business trips, & day hiking. The website also states it should be used only in clear water. The Hiker Pro is also field serviceable & cleanable & indicated for use in "clear or turbid" water. I've had to pump some pretty nasty water out of what amounted to "mudpuddles" on the AT in the middle of summer drought & the Hiker Pro performs flawlessly. Also, I always hike in groups of 2-5 people & in this context the Hiker Pro is preferable for me. For solo use & cleaner water sources I could see that the Mini might be preferable given it's lighter weight & more compact size.
    Also, I frequently hike with Justin & was replying to his post with the knowledge of other filtering systems he has tried & what he is looking for to replace his old Pur filter. Hope all of this explains my statements.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Gotcha.

I used the mini in some skank-water mud puddles too.
    Had to scrub the element to finish.

But I thought you couldn't clean that pleated filter.
    What's involved in doing that?

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I picked up an unused one somewhere, and I tried it out in the kitchen sink to pump some clean water into a drinking glass. It was very tiresome. I don't have that much patience. I wonder if it would take less energy to hike a mile off the trail for water than to pump a single liter of water with the little things.

My recommendation is to find something else. Aren't there some folks that have modified their MSR Sweetwaters down to a considerably lighter weight?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I bought one when I first started backpacking…It was just to much work-period!!! Too much pumping and cleaning…Thank goodness for Aquamira–then use BPL mini droppers and 1oz will give you a weeks worth of clean water!

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Chris,
    The Hiker Pro has a fine plastic mesh prefilter which wraps around the cartridge filter element & is held in place with a stretchable open mesh plastic sleeve. This prefilter is easily removed & simply rinsed (unfiltered water is fine) or it & the cartridge filter itself can be wiped with a small sponge that comes in the Hiker Pro kit. This wrap around prefilter & quick connect fittings are really the only difference between the Hiker & Hiker Pro. The cartridge filter is said to need replacement at 250 gallons or when pumping becomes difficult. Perhaps needed when I thru hike one of the big three if & when I get to retirement :)

Justin Shealey

@jshealey

After much deliberation I have decided to stick with what I know…

The hiker pro has never failed, needed to be cleaned in the middle of pumping water or given me the "runs"…

I have recently been testing the frontier filter, modified of course to a gravity feed system and it has proven to be nothing more than a novelty to show off to my non UL friends. Since many of the water sources where I backpack are nothing more than a trickle of water into a steamy black bear turd, I would rather trust the hiker pro.

Thanks to everyone for the sound advice!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools