Topic

Stuffing Synthetic Insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stuffing Synthetic Insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

Maybe I'm not searching well enough, but I'm having trouble finding guidelines on how much one can safely compress synthetic insulation. The most I've seen is "use the manufacturer's stuff sack" which doesn't help when I'm the manufacturer.

Any ideas? I'd like this quilt I'm making with Climashield XP to withstand 5 years or more of occasional use without substantial degradation. Is there some level of compression that will do that? 50% of fully-lofted volume? 25%? As much as you can cram in a silnylon stuff (not compression) sack without bursting the seams?

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

There isn't a set compression amount for synthetics. It depends on the type of synthetic, how long it'll be stuffed and what your personal trade offs are on volume of item in pack vs expected life of item.

Subjective and probably useless to tell you, but personally, I stuff it by feel and go from there. It should never feel hard, instead a bit firm and stop there.

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

Subjective but a place to start. I have -zero- experience with synthetics and anything will help. I should also mention that I'm looking for the on-trail just-in-pack stuff sack size; I'd store the quilt fully lofted.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Light synthetic fills don't usually last for more than a couple of years according to many reports. Stuffing them to any significant compression does reduce their loft quickly. Stuffing very lightly is important.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools