Topic

Gila Box packrafting trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Gila Box packrafting trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Following my Grand Enchantment Trail hike this spring I finally found the opportunity to explore a couple of the desert rivers that flow nearby.

The canyons of the San Francisco and Gila rivers are close companions of the GET for a number of miles, but in this vicinity and at this time of year, both are typically best floated rather than hiked. Show up a week or two late though, as I did, (or too early) and a packrafting trip such as this becomes a bit more, well, interesting…

Photo essay (starts at slideshow frame 1)

Video (select HQ video for best viewing)

Next time I'll try to muster a compadre or two and pass around the camera a bit (preferably a waterproof model)!

All in all, a very worthwhile trip through seldom-seen country with plenty of drifting solitude and watchable wildlife. The perfect companion adventure to an eastbound GET hike from Safford to Clifton.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brett,

A very interesting and professional presentation of your trip! Thank you very much for sharing your adventure with us.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Thanks Richard. The camera really didn't see enough use during the trip, for the reasons stated. So the end product was somewhat lacking for raw materials, but hopefully it paints a broad brush stroke, anyway.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Nice write up. I've been on a few float trips, where it seems like you walk as much as paddle.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Brett,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to document and share with us. That looked like a fun couple days! Great job!

Rick Beaty

@reeock

Locale: New England

The Gila is GORGEOUS! How long was the trip? How did arrnage transportation?

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

Great pics, and nice video too. Very professional (where'd you get the music?)…

I'm going to be floating the box in Mid-March courtesy of La Nina…!

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

Brett,

Nice video. The birds and breeze sounds @ 3:40 were nice and the giant fish in the mud-puddle very surprising!

Looking forward to your future videos, and as you mention here, your future partners.

Amazing how a floatable river just gets sucked dry.

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

Liked the video, thank you. I feel bad for the fish :)

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

There are several boatable sections on the Gila. This trip report covers the Lower Box section.

Starting near the Gila Cliff Dwellings near Gila Hot Springs, NM, the runs go in order like this:

Leopold Wilderness run 39 miles class II-III
    9 miles of private land/fences/diversions
    18 mile class III+ Middle Box
    then the lower box, which starts above the san francisco but includes the canyon covered in this report.

Below the lower box there is still the Arizona Box and a reservoir and the mostly dewatered sections.

There isn't much beta about floating some of these sections, so I just wanted to post to make some sense of it for people looking at it down the road.

thanks for sharing the great pix!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools