Topic

5 piece rod or 7 piece rod? lightweight holding case? Reel?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara 5 piece rod or 7 piece rod? lightweight holding case? Reel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Okay, so since I'm back in Washington now I need to get another fly rod, since my 2 piece was stolen while I was in Arizona. This time I want to get a packable rod for hiking and fishing, since that's what I enjoy anyhow.

I haven't been fly fishing in nearly 5 years, so I need practice. But I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the Cabela's 7 piece or the 5 piece 6wt rod or full setup for river fishing and some lakes up in the high country. Any suggestions on Reels for backpacking with? or just get a cabela's combo already setup? Any suggestions on a lightweight case for carrying the rod? I know BPL used to sell one years ago… but is there anywhere to source one or any suggestions?

Jared Cook

@rooinater

also, 8' 6" rod or 9' I'll be mainly fishing medium size rivers, and larger lakes. 5 to 6 wt., still haven't decided on the three forks reel or the prestige reel after I decide which combo to get.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Hmmm, trout?

I would say 8.5' 5 weight…The fewest number of pieces that you can carry with ease. The less sections, the better the rod should cast. (1-piece would be ideal but kinda hard to pack)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jared, most of the high lake in Washington have a lot of brush around the banks so it makes for a difficult back cast. A raft or float tube is a good way to get around the bush but at a heavy price penalty.
    I use a 9 ft 4 wt 4pc., because its my favorite rod and I don't like casting anything shorter. If it is really windy I might move up to a 5 or 6 wt. (9ft of course). depending on the size of the river also dictates the rod wt.
    For a lightweight rod tube- most less expensive rods come in a very light plastic tube that is perfect for a LW rod holder. I know Temple Fork Outfitter (TFO) rods come this way so stop by different fly shops and ask if they have any laying around that someone didn't want (they purchased a studier rod case).
    I've used my plastic tube for 5 years now. If you get a tube for a 9' 4 pc. it will fit any rod that is 9' or smaller.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Jared,
    I use the 5-piece Cabela's Stowaway rods and think they pack down small enough (better price too). For reels, I use Old Orvis CFOs. I guess you don't need anything too fancy but I have tries Cabela's reels and wasn't impressed (I think their rods are much better than their reels). If you want a tube, you can use the clear, plastic tubes they they sell flourescent lights in. I normally don't use a tube–I just put the rod with it's rod bag in the side pocket of my pack and lash it down with the side compression strap. Hope that helps.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Ok…I keep hearing about these light tube protectors as super-light rod cases, so I went to HD this weekend and found the "Light protector" tubes. Excited, I picked one up to test it out…I think it would offer about as much protection as a rod bag. I mean, I was able to bend, twist, and crush the thing about as easy as a cardboard paper-towel roll. Is there another kind that I should be looking for?

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Well I've decided on the 5 piece. More than likely the 8' 6", it packs a little smaller and should cover a lot of the places I'll be fishing. Still torn on the reels, I've been looking at the cabelas RLS reels also, they may not be the lightest but I want a larger arbor, and be able to use it on a 2 piece rod later down the road (multi function) and be able to change out the spool for regular ol' fly fishing with a 2 piece and not break the bank. I'll head down to cabela's this weekend to look at some reels…

what is the issue with the cabela reels, drag? overall smoothness? function? thanks for all the help!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Check out the following link for a detailed discussion of lightweight rod tube alternatives ….

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12206

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Thanks Michael, just what I needed!

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Go to Michael's craft store if they have them in your area. They sell a poster coloring kit complete with pens and a DIY poster. Give the poster kit away and keep the plastic tube that it comes in. The tube measures 30", weighs 5.8 oz and is perfect for a 9' 4 piece pack rod. Last time I bought one, I think the kit was about $8. To multi task, I slide the rod in a spare pair of sock before putting it in the tube. That will keep it from rattling and protect the rod.

Some of the lightest reels on the market are the basic click pawl type, like the Hardy's and Battenkill CFO's. You typically don't need a sophisticated drag for trout and if you do, then just use your finger against the spool as the fish takes line.

Since you are in WA, you might consider checking out the Washington Fly Fishing forum for basic info.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

there is a micheal's nearby I'll check them out and I found the washington fly fishers forum. thanks for the info. I'll check those reels out to, any reccomendations on some WF line?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I found a excellent LW rod tube at my local museum gift shop, it contained a map. The tube has held up to some fairly tough bushwacking.

Tony

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

I'm in the market for a new line myself for my 5wt. I'm leaning toward a new Airflo. Not sure which one. I have one of their speylines and really like it. They make nice stuff. The Scientific Angler Sharkskin lines have created a quite a buzz. But they're pretty spendy at $100.

BTW, another good site for you if you don't know already is the NWhiker.net. Right in your backyard.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Yeah, I post on the NWhikers forum from time to time. Mainly just a few trip reports and gear comments. I'm not a big fan of the WTA.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

From what I understand Sharkskin is a great line for shooting line really far, but the exterior coating is so rough it can tear up your hands. Give me a Scientific Anglers WF Trout Taper any day and I'm happy.

I angree with Randall about the drag – Unless you are fishing for steelhead or heading out to the sea to fish you probably will never use a good drag. If get you caught in a sticky situation where you do need it, just use the rim of the spool carefully. (Make sure it's a rim-control or exposed rim reel for this) Most of the time you will never have to do this either, I play 99% of my fish with the line in the fingers of my left hand as the "Drag". I did think the CFO's were disc drags and not click-pawl, though.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

CFO's are available in both a disc drag and click pawl. The click pawl would be my preference. They are just so classic and I would bet just a tad lighter. There is always a few floating around on ebay. Even if the reel does not allow rim control, you can apply light pressure with your finger to the rear of the reel to the spooled line itself as it goes out. JW Young reels are an English made click pawl reel and are a great value. I recently picked one up on ebay for $45. But they are not near as light as a CFO or Hardy and they are typically right hand wind only. Probably a good 2 oz heavier than a comparable CFO/Hardy.

I have also read that the Sharkskin line can make a weird noise as it shoots which many people have found annoying.

Jared….what is the WTA?

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Sorry Randall, I didn't know it came with either drag. If I ever break out of my Plfueger Medalist 1494RC habit maybe I'll find more out about these other reels ;)

Jared Cook

@rooinater

wasington trails association, which nwhikers has a direct tie to. They appear to believe hiking is the only true outdoor sport and every other sport should be banned from the back country, which their policies strongly reflect. I don't believe that should be how backcountry management should be approached.

to keep this on topic I'll leave it at that, and please stay on topic. I know how people like to run with stuff they don't agree with.

Has anyone had experience with the waterworks ULA purist reels? 2.9oz larger arbor, click-pawl for 75 yds of backing of 5 wt line. might be a good all around reel for the trout fishing I would be doing.

I also found that they just put in a fly shop in gig harbor! i'll swing by there on the way home and pick their brains on some flies and their colors for the local waters.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

I don't have any experience with them. From what I do know, they are good quality. I have found them to be very appealing for backpacking because of the amazingly low weights. For a trout rod, unless you are really catching big trout, a reel is just a glorified line holder anyway, so why not get the lightest one for backpacking. My only concern with them would be if (actually not if but when)I take my next fall, how it would hold up, as there are trade offs to everything.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

That's a pretty expensive line holder!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

yeah, but I haven't found a click pawl under 4oz for 5wt line…

Jared Cook

@rooinater

how about a 4wt reel on a 5wt rod?

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

You could put a 5 weight line on a 4 weight reel, you just wouldn't be able to use as much backing.

I suppose click-pawl may be inherently a lighter design than a disc-drag, but there are plenty of reels out there with a disc-drag under 5 ounces. Personally I think a disc drag is better. (Even though it isn't needed much with the fishing I do, and the fishing it sounds like you are planning to do) If I had two reels of exactly the same specifications and one was disc-drag and the other click-pawl I would take the disc-drag any day. I fish a click-pawl though, just because I never ever use the drag so what do I care. The large arbor thing will kinda limit your choices a bit, but if you must have a reel under 5oz I think if you open yourself up to disc-drags you may find a few more that are out there…I spent $30 on my reel (After owning much more $$ ones) and have never looked back….It works just as good at storing line as a $400 reel :) It is about 2oz heavier though, and not a large arbor.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Ahhh, I see you want a reel under 4oz, not 5oz. Oh well…I will change my statement to say if you are willing to accept something 5oz or less, and accept either a disc-drag or click-pawl, you will find quite a bit out there.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

I'm just torn, the majority of the fishing I'll be doing with this particular setup is medium to small rivers in the back country and alpine lakes. So between 6 to 16 inch trout on average. Maybe a few larger on the rare occasion. Since this will be mainly a pack rod I was trying to go as light as possible for the reel, but I am also really torn about the idea of spending 300+ dollars on a click pawl reel… I'm still looking, but if I can find a sub 4oz reel that's a 3 – 4 wt reel… I think I could live with that and just stick it on my 5 wt rod and rock some 4wt wf line… If it comes to it I'll be looking for a sub 5oz reel with a disc drag, Any ideas? I found a Ross Flyrise for $100 witha 4.8oz weight.

I'd prefer to save the extra cash that I would be saving by not buying the purist and buy a good reel for salmon fishing later this year. I can switch to a smaller shelter and bivy to compensate the extra couple ounces on fishing trips. I was going to be doing that anyhow.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools