Topic

OR Rain Mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear OR Rain Mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I was looking through a box of old backpacking gear and I think I found a pair of OR Shells maybe Rain Mitts. they look like I never used them. They are size large and weigh 3.03oz for the pair

I am going to make a pattern for a pair of Rain Mitts. Then I will make a pair out of Cuben and see how much they weigh and they work out.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

cool,

cant wait to see what you come up with

will breathability be a problem?

mabey you can put a zipper on one of the seams wich opens up to some no see um mesh or something?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Ryan, You are correct and I may try sewing in a mesh insert (vent) like I will have on my VB Cuben pants and shirt protptype. I think wearing a light pair of liners might work as well. My main concern in the rain is staying warm and not always staying dry.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

This is getting to easy. I may even have the first Cuben Mitt done tonight. Here is my pattern test.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

The material for the Cuben Rain Mitts/VB Mitts will weigh 0.155oz. pair. These are the same size as the OR item in the first pictures.

I am thinking about adding a full draw cord around the mitt opening and a short draw cord across the top of the wrist area.

I would use a small flat cord and mini cord locks. This would add 0.197oz per pair.

The total weight for the pair would then go to about 0.36oz or 0.37oz per pair.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill,

Good job. Already halfway there – so fast. Did you think that perhaps you might want to make crab claw mitts for a bit of extra dexterity. Or, did you go with full mitts for more warmth?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

whats the latest, you done?

cant wait to see the final product

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools