Topic

Let’s talk about the whiz freedom

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Let’s talk about the whiz freedom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ford
    BPL Member

@jimford

Locale: DFW

"dunno, Ben. My guess is 999 times out of 1000 a girl carrying one of these gizmos at 14 grams is packing less weight to achieve the function than a guy."

And all these years, I've measured it in inches. Do we guys need to get the scales out, and see who's "gear" is the lightest?

Jim

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

LOL LOL LOL. Who's the truest SUL man and women???

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I tried one of these types of devices, called a Lady J. The trouble is my outflow was much faster than its outflow. What a horrible mess. Squatting isn't all that bad.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Ah yes, you need to regulate the outflow. Good practice for the bladder muscles ;)

Jim Ford
    BPL Member

@jimford

"Ah yes, you need to regulate the outflow. Good practice for the bladder muscles"

Yep, we guys do it all the time at urinals. It's bad form to just "open up" all the way. The guy next to you might not appreciate your backsplatter.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

During a backpacking trip a couple of years ago the 5 women in the group would all go off together to pee. The main reason was to take turns swatting and waving away the zillions of mosquitoes from each other. I'm sure that if they had had the option that the Whiz Freedom allows they would have been much happier campers.

-Mark

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Hahaha – these posts are fantastic!

I had the Freshette. Much to my chagrin and dismay, I lost it.

I've been wanting to pick up the Whiz. As much as I liked the Freshette, the Whiz seems like it has some advantages – namely, being soft and flexible and the hydrophobic and anti-microbial coatings.

I never had a flow issue with the Freshette – the cup part of the funnel was just large enough I suppose. And the fact that it was solid certainly made for a secure fit against my body.

I've been a little worried about whether or not the Whiz would work as well as the Freshette, and so have not purchased it, despite the other bits that I like about it.

Has anyone used both, and can comment?

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

"LOL This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time."

You guys… and girls are killing me! LOL This is hilarious!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"LOL LOL LOL. Who's the truest SUL man ???"

The silence is deafening…..

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

we guys can call it a "luxury item" and not care about the weight. when i am with my wife it can also be "multiple use gear"

another thought is that with UL philosophy one can do more with less. so i guess it boils down to your skill and ability.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hey, good thread. Nice to see the enthusiasm.

FYI

Backpacking Light will be releasing the Spray Jacket in a few weeks. This new product will allow men to squat and pee like a girl. It will be packaged with a mosquito buttnet.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I hike in a kilt, can I buy just the buttnet?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

@Ryan:

I'm not even sure what to make of that…how about some B&W model photos?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Hey Ryan, do you think the Splash Jacket will work in combo with the Whiz Freedom…for those who want the best of both worlds?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I really want a kilt. Would people laugh if a lady wore a kilt? Not a Catholic school-girl kilt but one of those manly American kilts.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Catholic school-girl kilts only. Sorry.

Jim Ford
    BPL Member

@jimford

Personally, I'm holding out for the "Pooper Pants", with a super-slick silnylon chute inside that slopes downward to the back, and has an elastic back-door. Just grab the sides of your pants and pull them forward, the elastic opening in back opens up automatically, and you can do #2 without dropping your pants, keeping (most) of your posterior warm. Mind you, with an elastic opening, wiping could be problematic, so no light colored fabrics for this gear.

You'll be able to do #2 so fast, your buddies won't believe "YOU" did it, and you can tell them whatever story you want. "Man, you just missed seeing a Haggis! If only you'd been here 30 seconds sooner, you would've seen it. See….Look what he left…" Watching your buddies stare at it for 5 minutes is gonna be priceless….

Of course, proper LNT ethics compels us NOT to do this ON THE TRAIL!.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Just tried the Freshette in the comfort and privacy of my own bathroom – now i know why the seat has to go up – definitely an art to this! I ordered the Whiz for comparison. Anything to avoid mosquito bites in places where deet shouldn't go. But does it go up a pant leg or thru the zipper section?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi all,

You ladies just need to learn how to pee standing up.

I know it is possible but don't ask me how.

You do need a skirt or a Kilt on to do this.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

"…learn to pee standing up…" Hahahahaha.

It can be done. I've done that too, without additional aids. But even in a kilt or skirt (which I couldn't IMAGINE hiking in), you'd still have the splash-back problem.

The beauty of these devices is that you DON'T need a kilt or a skirt. You can simply unfasten your fly, pull any obstructions down in front just far enough to hold the device against your body, and just go. The stream is directed far enough away from you that you don't have to worry about splash-back.

Barbara, DEFINITELY let me know how it goes. Like I said, LOVED the Freshette, but the cup portion of the Whiz makes me a little nervous that it won't provide as secure a fit against the body…

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

> But does it go up a pant leg or thru the zipper section?

I whip it out the zipper for use and when in storage mode, it just goes in your sock.

… and please don't leave the lid up.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Chris – you store it in your sock!!!!

Sharon – OK, tried the whiz – good job I was in the shower – you're right about cup size – it needs very careful positioning – you have to be very knowledgeable about your exact anatomy – there were definite directional flow issues – more practice needed. But it folds up smaller than the Freshette – not that that matters much if it's malfunctional (is that a word)… watch this space….

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

I tried to stay away from the P P posts but they keep pulling me back in.

Ok ladies here we go, some of these have been covered in this post but I feel consolidation is in order.

1 Down wind
    2 Down hill
    3 When at urinal, eyes front
    4 Writing your name in the snow is mandatory and
    5 Dotting the I's is the hard part and
    6 Style points if you can get ""'s around you trail name, ie Bertha "Pee's like guy" Standish
    7 You can't shake off the last three drops.
    8 If you shake more then 3 times you're playing with it.
    9 When drunk at urinal, left hand on wall for balance and support, close left eye, right hand aims for the urinal puck, whistle, if you get stuck just read royal, sloan, usa, sanitized by Fikes.
    10 Never cross the streams!

I hope this helps, your humble servant,
    Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Chris – you store it in your sock!!!!"

That's what we all say, Barbara. ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools