Topic

Homemade Bivy Support

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Homemade Bivy Support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lawrence Steffes

@stef12

I'm new to the community and just getting warmed up. Has anyone tried a homemade internal support for a bivy? I'm experimenting with old tent poles to make a short arched support that will support the face and shoulder section of my bivy internally. I've tried hanging a support line from my ridgeline, but would prefer an internal support structure. I have a REI Minimalist Bivy. I will post photos as my progression continues.REI Minimalist Bivy (regular)Outside loop under rain gutter (chest area)
    From the pictures, hopefully you can see there are already possibilties for fabrication with minimal effort. Any suggestions are appreciated.

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

I'm right there with you man, I'm learning myself. Wish I could help. May I ask the name of that bivy though? It's intresting looking.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've used small diameter plastic tubing to craft a support for the inside of my Oware bivy. It works pretty well and is lighter than a tent pole, plus it can't break. I've also used it on the outside placing the tube through the tie out loop and along the sides, but it needs to have more than a promise along the edge to stand up to my rolling about in the night.

Will post a photograph when I get back to Juneau from Fairbanks later this week.

Lawrence Steffes

@stef12

Thanks for the insight. I will have to try it with a few different support combinations and I will post what I learn. Oh, and the bivy is a REI Minimalist Bivy. I looked at afew different combos and didn't want to spend a ton of money on something that appeared to be less durable material. Keep in touch

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Look at your wipers blades. Many varieties have silver colored metal strips that act as guides to keep the blades attached to the holder. They are small and bend easily. They could be sewn in with the bend held in place. Maybe!

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=refreshPhotos&albumID=571335855&security=MSDWUJ

Jeremy Hankinson
    BPL Member

@kersh1

You could try using titanium welding rods 3mm ->
    They are pretty springy and you could sleeve them together (ala tent poles) to get your correct length.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

You can try carbon fiber rods from a kite store like Kitebuilder depending on the length you need.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/33?osCsid=9fc9236d343eedfa8cd342d5b3e0bd12

Bill Fornshell of this forum made supports out of long balloons, the kind clowns make animals and hats out of. Those are light!

-Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools