Topic

Quickest way to perfect pitch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Quickest way to perfect pitch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

What is the quickest (& hopefully easiest) way to pitch a Spinntwin – shaped tarp?

My reason for asking is it takes me longer than it should, especially when windy. I end up adjusting and re-adjusting height, width between the stakes on ends, making everything just right for my bug net to fit perfectly underneath, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Todd

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I pitch my tarp loose at first. I get the poles vertical, set the stakes just tight enough to hold everything up. Then I go around and re-set the stakes – this brings everything to a solid tautness.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I use the RayWay two-stick method. 'Scuse the name, but others will know the method. Here's the steps:

1. Stake down guy lines from two corners on one short end, approximately where they would be when you're done with everything. This is an estimate, naturally.
    2. Go over to other side. Set up the pole and stake it down.
    3. Stake down the corner guys for the side you just put the pole up.
    4. Walk over to the other side. Set up the pole and stake it down. I usually make this the lower end of the tarp.
    5. Stake down the side guys.
    6. If you have side lifters (RayWay tarps, or MLD monk tarps), set up the poles and stake those.
    7. Adjust guylines /w tautline hitches or mechanical tensioners.

If it is windy, put one person on each short end for holding. Otherwise throw your pack on it.

I need to put to some tensioners on my CatTarp2 later. I'll put those on and take some step-by-step photos.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks folks.

Matt: your step-by-step especially drives it home.

Thanks again,
    Todd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools