Topic

How light should I go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Steve,

Hike your hike, and take equipment suited for the conditions. As a poncho/tarp user and advocate; I don't use it on every trip.

Pick your gear suitable for the trip, and what is weighs, is what it weighs.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Mary,
    I've been using a poncho/tarp for the past few years but up here we don't have a very long "cold and wet" season so I'm not voer experienced in that weather. I'm sure I could make it work, but have decided to use my Duomid and enjoy myself.
    Your comment about the food is too true. After a day, I'll have eaten the extra weight…:)

Brian,
    Yep, I'm convinced.

Nick,
    My pre-hike preparation is a lot of fun for me. At the end of the day, I bring what I want to bring but I enjoy getting the feedback from others. Keeping my weight as low as possible is an enjoyable challenge for me.

My list is posted under gear lists/my profile.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Steven,

Your gear list looks well-thought out. I'm pleased to see you've listed the mid over a poncho tarp. Having hiked many hundreds of miles of Lake Superior's shore lines I personally saved use of a poncho tarp for the months of June through September.

Late April and May will be rainy and snowy and considering your choice sleeping gear (short quilt, insulated pants and down sweater) you're going to want a waterproof respite for a night's sleep.

I too set out on sufferfest trips with vigor but they are done in familiar terrain with the option for escape.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools