Topic

Foam Under MYOG Alky Stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Foam Under MYOG Alky Stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Hello All,

I have a fairly generic MYOG open jet pepsi can stove which requires a pot stand to operate. In some testing, and despite some warnings I've seen about this practice, I've had good luck operating the stove with a piece of 3/8" closed cell foam underneath it. Since the stove itself is not load bearing, any failure of the foam would appear to be incremental and relatively harmless.

Have others had good luck with similar arrangements in the snow? Is there any reason to stop using the foam, like the release of noxious chemicals? Has anyone tested whether there are gains to be had using insulation in this way in warmer temps, say into the 40s F or 50s F, even in the absence of snow?

Thanks,
    James

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Me, I use a small bit of light 3-ply. Doesn't melt.

Cheers

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I have used a double bottom to insulate a stove – just cut another can bottom, drill a hole in it and press it on a finished stove. The hole is necessary – otherwise, the pressure created when the stove heats up could shoot the burning stove into the air.

This is especially useful with small diameter (i.e. red bull) cans, where using the top of the can with the rim as the extra bottom makes the stove more stable.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

James, I use closed cell foam under my stoves in winter, but I cover it with a layer of duct tape. I'm not really sure if this is necessary, but I did it "just in case". If the stove isn't melting the foam pad it really isn't necessary.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools