Topic

Has anyone tried….Mattress Encasement Cover….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Has anyone tried….Mattress Encasement Cover….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

My wife and I were switching out our queen mattress encasement cover and it struck me this may have bivy applications (and a pillow case version may have stuff sack/lining sack/or sewn pack applications). You could get a twin cover and could even taper it and re-sew or glue. Ours was sorta like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10759964

1) waterproof
    2) essentially a zippered bag – with some modifications it could become a bivy
    3) This one says it is "breathable"
    4) Ours weighed in at about 2 lbs.
    5) Two people have slept on this thing about every night for about 4-5 years so it has been very durable.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this – if it didn't work – why?

Thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts….

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

2 lbs… eh… i think if nobody has tried it that would probably be the reason…

Erik Graf

@van-go

That was for a queen – make it a twin and taper it down…probably still at around 12 oz. at best I guess.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

ah i see… that's much better.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I have seen a modified version to help keep a ground cover in place. Instead of the cover being just the length of your bag, it is maybe a yard or so longer, then folded up over the bottom third of your bag with the edges sewn together to form a pocket. The end of your bag fits into a pocket. However, because the ground cover is waterproof, you do not want the fabric coming up too far. NB. The tops of bivies are waterproof breathable, not coated nylon.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

I've been looking at mattress allergy covers because I have asthma and should avoid dust mites. For mattresses the solution is the various mattress covers. For sleeping bags, you can wash it regularly in 140F water, but I don't think down bags endure too much of that.
    So, I've been thinking of making a sleeping bag liner from some mattress encasement cover then washing the liner regularly. There are breathable polyester materials used that are woven so fine that dust mites can't penetrate. These mattress covers are a bit expensive. The cheaper ones don't breath.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I happened to be in a UPS packaging store, formerly Mail Box Etc., They sell for c.$3.00 2.5ml plastic cover for a King sized mattress. This is plastic similar to a platicpainter's drop cloth found at hardware stores.
    Waterproof, but not breathable! BTW The thinnest drop cloths make good ground covers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools