Topic

Material Suppliers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Material Suppliers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I know this has been covered before but I can’t seem to find any of the old threads discussing it. I’m looking for online suppliers of material to make / modify backpacking gear.

Thanks for your help!

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Hey Chad, I found this website which has been very helpful:

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/sources.asp

They list all the sources I knew about, and a couple I didn't.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

That's a great resource! Thank you so much!

Right now I'm planning on adding a pair of mesh water bottle pockets to a smaller Osprey pack I have. My hope is that by adding the external watter bottle pockets I'll have enough room in my old pack for summer trips.

If anyone has a good way to sew mesh pockets onto a pack please let me know!

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

I know of a few others not mentioned there:

Kite Builder: their notions, hardware and lightweight cord may be of interest; their fabric is a bit odd but YMMV.

Para-Gear: good for silnylon, obscure binding tapes, metal hardware, and more.

Shelby: in addition to the usual fare they have a good selection of Schoeller's fabrics and other obscure neat stuff.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Guys (gals too),

One of the goals of the BPL WIKI is to avoid the "this was covered in an old thread I can't seem to find right now" problem.

It has a Materials section with a Sources subsection. If it does not contain what you need and you then find it somewhere, pls record your find in that section of the Wiki rather than in yet another thread that will get lost in the clutter.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for the update about the content of the Wiki site!

Now just if I could find some information about sewing mesh pockets I'd be all set. (Don't worry I already looked on Wiki and there is nothing about this particular topic)

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

thru-hiker.com

questoutfitters.com

Outdoor wilderness fabrics (owfinc.com)

rain shed

owareusa.com

speerhammocks.com

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies! Thanks to your help I've managed to find a great idea and pattern for a removable mesh pocket that I can add to my Talon 33 from Osprey. The Talon has a good deal of accessory loops so this removable pocket concept should work rather well!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools