Topic

Not a question of ounces, but of space

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Not a question of ounces, but of space

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bet it does pack up small. Search both the BPL website and the Forums for compression sacks.

You’ll need to do two different searches from two different search boxes: BPL Site search is done in Search Edit Box in the upper right corner of each webpage. The Forum Search is a “Blue” (default webpage color) hyperlink near the top of each Forum web page (>MAIN FORUM INDEX >SEARCH FORUMS >….)

See what other advice you come up with from BPL and the Forums on the advisibility of Compression Sack use.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Another vote for the Mariposa. Tons of room for the weight. Also, if you keep the stays in, there’s no problem keeping the thermarest prolite in the exterior sleeve. I do.

As others have said, you could (budget allowing) shop for a lighter bag. There are plenty of 0 degree options out there (in down) for under 2 pounds. Personally, I love my Montbell Super Stretch #3. It’s not uber-lite… but it offers a ton of function and warmth per ounce.

You may find that if you get a lighter, more compressible bag… you don’t need a new pack… thereby saving money :)

I now use a Prophet 30 for overnight trips… it’s crazy light… but there is no way I would have gotten all my stuff in there with my old 3.5 pound MEC sleeping bag. That bag would have taken up the whole pack!!! And it was only slightly warmer than my Montbell bag.

Just goes to show… ultralight is a system… all the parts work together to make an insanely efficient and light system. If you have a big, heavy bag… you need a bigger pack… etc. With lightweight… when one thing gets lighter… that often means that other things can get lighter!!! Like your shoes. I think the best part of having a 5-6 pound base weight is the nibble, light as air joy of hiking in running shoes :)

paul johnson

@pj

David,

Some questions for you: in another Thread there is a lot of talk on the poor quality down in the Montbell SuperStretchDownHugger bags, and how they are woefully optimistic in their temperature rating. Can you please provide your experience on:
    1) your qualitative impression of down quality
    2) your impression of construction, particularly is the down adequately distributed?
    3) are there cold spots, particularly with less than adequate down in that area?
    4) number of inches of LOFT of your SSDH#3
    5) what is the lowest temp you’ve used your bag in?
    6) what were you wearing in question #5 immediately above?
    7) in your case, given your own personal shoulder girth (or chest size – would you mind stating either figure in cm or inches, please?), is the SuperStretch system too compressive for you to wear an insulated pullover with the SuperStretch compressing both it and the pullover’s insulation?
    8) do yo feel that you are a cold, normal, or warm sleeper?

Many people would appreciate this info. Here’s a link to the other THREAD that discusses Montbell SuperStretch bags – just “Search” for “Montbell” and “SuperStretch” and read the comments. You might want to “copy and paste” my/this Post into the start of your reply there for others to read, and then reply to it. I’m sure many of us would appreciate any info about your experience with the SSHD#3. Many thanks.

paul johnson

@pj

David,

Please read my prev. Post w/ques. addr. to you. Many thanks.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey Paul,

Sorry… I DID miss the post. I’m not “watching” the thread via email alerts and I’m on here as often as I used to be… very busy these days.

I should preface my answers by saying that I only got the bag this fall and I’ve only used it twice.

1. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of down in the bag… but I’ve never owned or even seen any other lightweight bags… so I don’t have anything to compare it to. My only other bag (I’m very new to backpacking) was a MEC Cygnet -10C bag with cheap down in it… power 500 fill I think. It was VERY puffy… but weighted a TON. I’m assuming there is enough down in there for what it needs to do.

2. Again… I can’t really tell about the down. But the construction seems top quality to me.

3. Never noticed

4. I’d say about 2 inches or so.

5. Not sure… been on two trips… 3 nights… I’ve never had it down to zero… probably more like +5C or so… it was plenty warm… never felt cold at all.

6. Boxers… socks and a long sleeve technical T with a hat on the colder night… nude in the summer.

7. I’ve never worn an insulated pullover with it… but if feels plenty roomy to me. I’m not a big guy… size 30-32 waist… 155 lbs… 5’7″… about 19″ from shoulder to shoulder… couldn’t find my tailor’s tape to measure around the full cicumference.

8. I’d say warm to normal.

Sorry I don’t have better answers for you… again… my experience with the bag so far is extremely limited. But so far… I love it… the only think I don’t like is the non-locking zipper.

paul johnson

@pj

David,

Many thanks for the swift reply. Good info; i believe that it’s probably helpful to others here; it is to me. My Montbell is my summer bag. Felt info on a colder weather bag would be more helpful to others. That’s why i asked for your help instead of sharing my summer info. Thanks again. Appreciate you taking the time to educate me. Take care.

Patrick Baker

@wildman

Another viewpoint regarding protecting
    your sleeping bag against moisture:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools