Topic

MYOG UL “Footprints” or strap system for fly-only pitching tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG UL “Footprints” or strap system for fly-only pitching tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have a Hilleberg tent that allows for pitching with the fly only with out the use of a dedicated 'footprint' by which the poles are held under tension at ground level.

It accomplishes this by using lightweight approx. 1/2" flat nylon webbing and corresponding small plastic hooks that attach to a loop on the opposite end. The straps, if I recall correctly, are slightly adjustable, but could just as easily be sewn in place for no fuss.

I would like to set up a strap system for a few other tents that I own, or perhaps make a 'footprint' out of very light material that is strong enough to handle the live tensile load from the pole bends. The tents that I intend to try this on are the REI quarterdome UL2, Alps Zenith 3, Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and a Mt. Hardwear Approach.

If anyone has done anything like this, would you care to share any beta, pics, etc.?

Here is the best sample picture I could find, although it only shows a strap at the entrance:

See the strap across the entrance that is integral on this Atlas model from Hilleberg.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Aaron:

I haven't actually done this, but what about using six lengths of UL guyline to connect 4 grommets (a rectangle with an "X")?

Say it's raining. You set up "fast fly" as follows:

1. spread out the contraption
    2. insert pole ends into grommets
    3. deploy the fly

Now, crawl under the protective fly and simply unfold and spread out your polycro or plastic or tyvek ground sheet.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Yes, those are both options that I think could be good options and the main purpose is to save superfluous weight, or have a lightweight additional optional setup.

Have you had any experience with either of these set ups? I would be concerned about altering the factory footprint by cutting out the large swaths of fabric compromising the integrity of it's function too much.

The second is largely what I was thinking – especially as a 2-piece kit, so that you could leave the ground sheet if preferred, or shift it out into the vestibule some to cover up wet ground in order to minimize condensation.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ha… we were typing at the same time. I just changed my post up above. What do you think?

The plastic sheeting can be just a rectangle — or if the fly has a vestibule, then the sheeting can be cut to the same shape — just 2-3 inches smaller all around to avoid catching rain.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Funny. Now my post doesn't really make any sense. Oh well, I'm going to temporarily boycott editing my own posts.

Yeah, I'm thinking some simple 1/2" or 3/4" flat webbing for the cross straps (source? – not sure yet).

A key feature would be to allow for the corners of the inner tent body to be able to attach to the corners of the groundsheet strap system at the pole grommets, which would be staked out independently of the inner. This could be accomplished by simply making stake loops on the strap system and slipping the inner tent pole grommets UNDERNEATH the strap system, as it holds the pole terminus.

This type of setup would allow you to not only set up fly-first with almost any tent, but also make it so that you could enlarge the size of your vestibule during the day time when you don't need all of the tent floor real estate, in order to make it easier to 'work' (cook, clean, dry, etc.) during storms and you are sitting up rather than laying down. You would simply have to unhook the corners of the inner tent and slide back the tent floor and groundsheet, if applicable.

I believe the HIlleberg Unna uses this kind of system, since it contains no vestibule, but has a large floor area for a solo tent. From their site:

"Rather than a vestibule, the Unna has a spacious interior that easily accommodates the occupant and gear – or, in a pinch, the occupant and another person. And by disconnecting a corner of the inner tent, one can create both a virtual vestibule and keep the inner tent dry while entering or exiting in rainy conditions."

See link:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-60/Unna/Detail.bok

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

I made a strap system for my eureka spitfire that works just fine. Made from 3/4 in nylon webbing, plastic buckles and grommets. Weighs 3.5 oz. Could be made a little lighter. I use a tyvek ground sheet (3 oz) over the strap system. Whole thing (strap system, fly, poles, tyvek, and stakes) weigh 2 lbs 2 oz. Could get the whole thing under 2 lbs if worked at it.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've always wanted to make a system like you're describing, but use fiberglass reinforced packing tape in an X under a tyvek footprint. You could extend the tape a short wasys beyond the footprint, and turn it back on itself, and then put grommets in it.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

I think I've got a good solution that will weight very little and be very strong. It also requires no grommets or sewing. I will try it out and then post a write-up when I get a chance.

One general guiding principle seems to be to "follow the poles" with the strapping system. For example, if you are using a 2 pole simple crossing dome set-up, make an "X". The fly perimeter should hold the shape correctly. If you're using a hoop tent, just strap each pole end to the other end of that pole, which is about as simple as it can get. Let the fly do the rest.

Joe N: do you have any pics of your system that you could post here?

Joe C: I like you're idea – that stuff is a pain to get off of packages and appears to have excellent tensile strength. If you play around with that any more, let me know. Sometimes lumber yards use similar strapping for their loads, although it might be a bit heavier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools