Topic

Early Spring AT Gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Early Spring AT Gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Travis Newman

@stonefree

Locale: Cascades

Here is my gear list for a Spring Trip which I will be taking on the A.T. for three days. Just wondering if anybody has any additions or subtractions that I should go about making. It would be nice to maybe get to SUL, but I would have to make some serious drops in weight and or buy some new gear for a trip like this.
    Best,
    Travis

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pFmKHhjNkYdBIhv9Q3pXTfg

Courtney Waal

@d0rqums

That actually looks pretty good. Oddly enough, the only thing I can think of is a suggestion to ADD more weight in the form of a second outfit for sleeping or regular wear. You're almost guaranteed to get soaked to the core by rain and it can be fairly miserable if you're stuck in one set of completely wet clothes.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Looks pretty good to me. As for extra clothing, I have yet to go to bed wet on any SE trip including in the Smokies. I never carry more than 1 of any clothing item except socks. This includes all four seasons down here.

Courtney Waal

@d0rqums

Oops, I just noticed he's on the southern end of the trail. That would make a difference ;)

Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

I backpack in the same region you do and I'm currently packing a DriDucks rain jacket. I got my first chance to use it in the field in the rain last weekend and it kept me dry through an hour+ of rain while hiking downhill (i.e. not strenuous). My L (maybe XL I can't remember) DriDucks jacket weighs 6oz on my postal scale. You could shave ~3oz for a 20$ rain jacket with this change.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Water can be an issue in several areas along the AT. Several shelters do not have near-by water sources. You do not want to have to be making multiple trips back and forth for water. At least have a 3 liter container. For evening meals and extra drinking water at dinner, breakfast and to start the day's hike, I might have 4 to five liters of water at once. Check to see how far the water source is for each shelter location you plan to stay at. Sources might be .4 away or 800 feet down a steep climb. Two liters of containers is not enough.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I deal with infrequent water sources all the time. Water is the heaviest thing you can carry. Perhaps a better methodolgy would be to eat dinner near the water source. Then you only need to carry a liter or two to your evening campsite; depending upon the distance to the next source. For breakfast, break camp and hike to the next source, then cook your morning meal near that source.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

While there can be water problems on the AT in Summer and Fall, there are hardly ever problems in the Spring. In over 500 miles of section hiking the AT in all seasons, I have never carried more than two liters. You might check http://www.whiteblaze.net before you go and check the water in that area.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I agree, Brad, but I have had to lug water to shelters whose supply was dry or not close by. One was just last week in PA (Darlington) As a rule, I start with 2 liters of water and usually end the day with a little bit still left over. However, when I come to a water source along the trail during the day, I try to drink a liter before moving on. Without ever feeling thirsty, I got dehydrated twice on week long hikes with dire consequences: kidney stones. Now I try to drink a lot, (enough to keep the urine clear). My platypus is about 3 liters and I carry two small 1 liter bottles which are empty most of the time, except in camp. Some use water bag for camp use.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

im no expert in how much your hiking poles should weigh but you could lose a half lb or more getting some carbon fiber poles which dont cost all that much. you did well excluding that.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Travis,
    It would help to know the section you will be traveling. Those who are familiar with that section may have news about water sources. I hike a lot in VA, MD and PA. I have never had to carry more that 1L at a time, and on my last trip a few weeks ago I carried none, of course that's here. I have found that I can drink my fill at a source, hike on, and drink at the next source. I would recommend at least 3L capacity, though. It is nice to have a fresh supply in the morning so you're hiking without a trip back to the source. So, I think we're all calling for investigation on water in the area. We're all smart.
    Also, knowing the elevation you'll expect my help with some questions I have about your puffy items.
    Good list. I have a few questions, and most I think, deal with personal preference. But why not ask?
    Do you need the Wisp if the Virga will cut the wind too?
    There is no weight posted on the GLAD bowl, but you already have the Snowpeak 600, do you need two containers?
    Would you consider moving the FireLite Mini to your Aircore 1 lanyard and ditching the lighter? The FireLite will light your stove.
    These are little things. The list looks great. How do you like your Murmur?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools